On That Cold Summer Night

Written by: gooddaymel

Prompt by: maywardist

-

"First star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, please help me find love in this cold summer night."

She's sitting in the front porch of her lovely abode. Her hair is billowing softly as the gentle wind caress her face on that one unsually cold summer night. Today is definitely one of the best days that she ever had in the past five years for at last, all of her dearest friends managed to come over upon her invitation after years of turn downs.

She took a deep breath and savor the clean and fresh provincial air as it passes through her lungs. So much have changed already she thought. They have all grown individually, taken their own paths, flourished their own careers while some even started their own family. So it is really not surprising anymore that they rarely make it into a complete attendance gathering lately, much more to her invitations where the venue was always set in Camiguin.

Despite of everything though she never planted a feeling of aloofness towards any of her friends. She totally understands. After all, they now have their own separate lives to live anyway. At the moment she just feels so happy and thankful because this time around despite of their busy schedules, all of them still prioritize to come and celebrate the day with her.

With a contented smile hovering her lips she continues to listen to the jubilant music and endless laughters from inside the house when all of a sudden, a gust of strong wind passed by which immediately caused her to shiver a little. Attempting to shield her body from the cold somehow, she took her shawl which is then crumpled on the top of her lap, flipped it over and wrapped it around her frame while using her arms as lock.

"Better." She whispered to herself after.

Now warmed enough she inhaled deeply once again and then tilted her head up. She appreciatively stared at the thousands, if not millions of twinkling stars, as well as the bright crescent moon that graced the sky that night.

Everything looks so beautiful. She mused silently inside her mind.

Indeed it is that it automatically made her feel nostalgic like the usual even if she doesn't actually wants to. Somehow it is inevitable. A moment like this never failed her to do so at least. And so, just like a forcibly opened dam, that precious memory of years ago started to pool into her consciousness on that instant.

~~~●●●~~~

"Hala wala pa ring stars!"

Maymay exclaimed in vehement disappointment. She is searching for those stars for several minutes now already but still can't find even one.

"Maymay it's been raining since this morning because of the typhoon. Obviously there would be no stars in the sky tonight."

Edward who is then sitting beside her told her with a soft chuckle in response. He's just been there with her all along, enjoying himself as he watched her rather cute nuances.

She rolled her eyes. Haynako ayan na po naman siya!

He is talking to her in that kind of tone again. You know like as if he's talking to a three year old toddler instead of a 20 year old full grown woman. Actually, she even noticed that he's been very fond of that kind of feat lately, much to her irritation.

Little did she know that he is doing it on purpose because he always craves to see her amusing and cute reactions to his provocations.

"Ay ambot! hindi na naman umuulan eh. Dapat may star na kahit isa man lang oh!"