Germany Knows

Written by: maywardist

Prompt by: gooddaymel

-

The first time I saw it, I was cold.

Seven degrees.

His ears were a bright shade of red, one that she took notice of the moment she saw him. She had thought I was the reason for the color, but the truth was she was. But he would never tell her.

She was warmed by a large brown coat that stopped to her knees, her neck was hugged by a long yellow scarf-a scarf he got for her before they flew over to me-, while her head was covered by an off-white knitted beanie, and shoes hidden with flat leather boots, one Laura had leant her for the occasion.

The look in his eyes when he saw her was like no other, I haven't seen his eyes glisten the way they did, and I have known him for almost all of his life.

"Beautiful," he muttered. "So beautiful." This time louder which caught her attention, maybe even her beating organ.

Her hair was in curls that framed her face perfectly. He eyed the blonde streaks that blended in with her dark locks, something she was forced to get after losing a bet with his sister Laura.

He hated it for a while, but overtime it grew on him. His lips parted and I saw her eyes dart towards them. I may have been cold that day, but they surely weren't.

"Edward," she said. She released a chuckle, a chuckle that covered all her fear and the panic in her bones. Edward was not the only one dumbfounded between them both. She was too, but she was so much better at keeping her feelings at bay.

Edward took a step forward towards Maymay. He was in black. He was always in black these days. No sight of colour except for the blush on his cheeks, and tinge of red on the tips of his ear. Maymay right then and there decided that red suited him, suited him all too well.

"Tara na, May." He grabbed her cold hands and covered it with his. Warmth began to emit from both of them, and Maymay gasped at his touch. He was incredibly warm.

Warm hands mean a cold heart; cold hands mean a warm heart.

"Saan ba kasi tayo pupunta, ha?"

May sixth.

"Secret." He looked back at her, his eyes twinkling with mirth. She pouted, and it took everything in him to stop himself from crashing his lips on her own. No. Not yet.

I watched as they walked to their destination. Maymay complained for more than three times to why he chose foot as a means of transportation, but he never answered a single one. Not when the reason was so he could hold her hand a little longer than a car ride would allow, let alone give him the chance to even hold her hand.

If I were able to express emotions, I would have smiled that day.

"Here we are!"

She let go of his hand. I was the only one who saw the sadness in his eyes. His longing for her touch.

"Salamat sa Diyos!" Maymay huffed and puffed the moment they stopped in front of the fancy restaurant. The one with the funny name that she couldn't pronounce for the life of her. "Dito tayo?"

"You told me once, that you wanted to eat at the restaurant where Dad proposed to Mom."

Bu-thump. Bu-thump. Bu-thump.

Her heart began to pound like crazy, and I could feel it through the wind. But he, he had no idea how his words hit her heart. She could've melted with just those words. I was too cold that though to let her.