Another Misson, Another Identity

But he really was the son of a snake. I had to do something, something soon, something fast, something tonight.

Mare's POV
     I watched the clock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. It seems to be mocking me. I've been watching it for the past hour or so. I think some of the other servants think I've gone crazy which I guess isn't exactly not accurate. I've been siting here for the past hour, analyzing what Maven said and thinking about what I'm to do. I can't tell Farley or really anyone else at that matter because the only people I know here work for the Scarlet Guard. Plus if I told anyone they probably wouldn't believe. I wouldn't believe me. No one would think poor innocent Mavey would do something like this. Even though now that I think about it makes perfect sense. He was always bitter when someone praised his brother and he always thought he was the shadow. I don't doubt his mother knows everything about the Guard. That's why she was so eager to get rid of me. I shouldn't have been so stupid I mean she's his son. I actually thought he was on my side. Still a little part of me believes that isn't true, that's he actually good but now I know better than to believe stupid thoughts. I push the thought away but it doesn't go away. I take a deep breath and try to focus on the important thing. Just one question remains as the clock struck 5, signaling me to go to the servant's hall to get ready. Should I stick with the Scarlet Guard's plan or should I save Cal?
       Halfway through my bath I realized the best decision is to stop Maven and to not tell Farley. It will be the best decision for Norta I tell myself. With Maven as ruler and Elara controlling everything he does he will not make an already destroyed country better. I'm doing this for Norta. For Norta. For Norta. Not for anyone else.
        They manage to get a hold of some sliver paint. I flinch when they start putting it on. It reminds me of when I was Mareena. I go over the identify Farley gave me in my head. . I'm a girl from a city up north. My family and I are greenwarders but we're not very powerful, so we prefer to live up in the country. I'm now attending the ball with my brother. The plan was that I'm suppose to shut down the power off giving enough time for Farley the other soldiers to "attack". I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "attack" but I know they're going to start at 10:30 which is when Cal is suppose to give a speech about something with the war. That's when Farley said I'm just suppose to distract him but not tell him who I am. That's where my plan kicks in, hopefully this won't be a disaster.
      They had to change my dress of blood red to  a gorgeous dress of green and gold to fit my new identity. It's a good thing that reds make all of the slivers dresses because with this dress I'll fit right in. "So, where's my "brother?" I ask. "He's right here," Farley said opening the back door letting in a familiar face. I know him so well he could me my brother. Kilorn walks in and flashes a grin at me. "What are you doing here," I say in a half angry, half happy way as I go to hug him. "You know its safer for you to be at home," "Mare," Kilorn replies "you need to stop acting like my babysitter. I'm here to help." "Fine." I say with obvious annoyance. Now on top of everything else I have to protect Kilorn. "Ok, I think we're ready," Farley said as the clock struck 9.
         Kilorn and I were ushered down a dark passageway in the castle by Walsh. "Now there is a carriage waiting out front which will take you to the front of the castle. Don't speak to anyone else unless directly spoken and then give a vague response," Before Kilorn and I got in the carriage Walsh grabbed onto my arm and said, "Good luck, you're going to need it." and she nudged me in.
         Once we arrived at the gates a guard came and escorted us out. "Goody day Lady Marlee, welcome to Whitefire Palace," greeted a royal guard. I guess Marlee is going to be my name now. If I keep on getting new names at this rate they're going to run out of names that go with Mare. I gave the guard an innocent smile and we walk inside. I was surprised at how easily we got in, Farley knows her stuff. Kilorn and I pulled on our masks since it was a masquerade ball. The grand room was set up in an elegant manner with chandlers sprinkling around the room giving off a warm glow. "Alright we still have time until Cal's speech, so do we mingle?" I ask Kilorn looking around. "I don't know but I'm getting something to eat. Silvers might be evil but they know they're food," Kilorn said as he headed off the our table. I rolled my eyes and let out a laugh when the lights dimmed and everyone's attention turned to the front of the room. "And now the royal family of Norta," boomed a voice. I rolled my eyes as they said everyone in the royal family ridiculously long names. My attention drifts back when I see the princes walk in. I usually would focus on Cal but my glaring eyes are on Maven, that monster. He's walking right beside his father and brother with now what I can tell is a rehearsed smile. I can't believe he can just stand there looking so calm while he plans to kill them tonight. Did I hear their conversation right. Was that actually Elara and Maven? I push the thought away. Of course it was them, I guess I'm just looking for reasons for it to not be true. The king starts talking about the celebration of Maven and Sonya's engagement even though I don't think he really cares he probably just wanted to have another reason to have a party and drink. I walk over and sit down at the table with Kilorn as the king finishes his speech with, "Let the night begin!"

SUPER SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE!! Also yay 400 reads! Thank you!! ❤️