Don't Always Believe What You See

Instead I look up to icy blue eyes that I know too well. "Hello little lighting girl, miss me?" Maven says.

Mare's POV
  I glare at him. How dare he show up here? In the room of the brother he's planning to betray? I think of the many things I could do. I could use my lighting and kill him right now, that would save me a lot of time. But then a new thought enters my brain. You wanna play dirty, well two can play at that game.
My new plan wasn't all that great but I had to roll with it for now. "Maven!" I say, "I was just coming to look for you! Are you ok?"
       "Umm I'm fine Mare why wouldn't I be? I guess I should be asking if your fine. I thought you were dead. And then I saw Cal talking to someone who looked awfully familiar. Sorry if I showed up uninvited but I wanted to make sure you were alright," he said.
          "Oh I just didn't know if you were ok because of the Scarlet Guard attack! You know the one that's happening downstairs right now."
         "What there's not an attack downstairs Cal is giving a speech downstairs. And you still haven't explained to me why your alive. Mare your really confusing me."
         This act of his is killing me. Like he doesn't already know why I'm alive. I bet his mother told him. Never mind that I need to continue with my plan. To convince him I'm on his side.
          "Maven I don't have time to explain! We have to get downstairs," I say grabbing his hand even though it makes my skin crawl. On the way down the main ballroom I feed him with lies. I tell him after I cam home the Scarlet Guard threatened that they would kill me if I didn't help them. I told him out of fear I continued to work for the Scarlet Guard but then they said they were planning on attacking the palace and that I got scared for him and Cal  so I came to help. He listened while I talked and he actually looked like he believed me. What a good actor he is.
       When we get to the main ballroom Cal is still giving his speech. I'm running out of ideas, I have to find something to keep Maven distracted.
"They haven't attacked yet. What should we do? We have to warn everyone," Maven said. He started going up toward the podium but I quickly yanked him back. I take him into a small hallway off the ballroom, far from anyone's view.
"You can't just go up there and say that the Scarlet Guard is going to attack ,we just have to stay quiet for now,"
"And risk hurting my people!" Maven said. "I thought you didn't like the Scarlet Guard, that they were forcing you to be here. Unless... You've been tricking me Mare! You just wanted to get me distracted so they could attack and I wouldn't have time to help anyone. Well your little game as gone too far,"
I couldn't stop myself. "Me? I'm the one playing games? You're the one that's been lying
to me, lying to everyone about who you really are. You're a monster Maven Calore," I whisper scream at him.
"God Mare what are you talking about. I'm the one that's been loyal to you. I joined the Scarlet Guard for you! And now you betray me?"
"I betray you?! You're the one that's planning to make your brother kill his father, your father, so you can have the crown. Stop pretending your just the little innocent prince. You're a jealous, power-hungry fool,"
Maven just stares at me like I've gone completely insane. "What are you taking about?! Ya I might have been jealous of Cal at times but I would never do that. Who told you that?"
"Please I heard you and your mother taking in the hallway wailer today,"
       "Mare," Maven says it in a way that shows he's scared. It sends chills down my spine. "I was in Summerton today. When had a meeting set up with the other high houses today. I wasn't even at the palace,"
        "What?" and of course I don't believe him. He's just lying again. But then. Then I remembered they were talking about this at the meeting. And there were a bunch of less guards at the castle today. Maven wasn't at the palace today. I was about to speak when something disturbed me. The sound of chandeliers crashing on marble floor.

Super sorry I haven't updated in a long while but I'm working on it! Thank you for the nice comments and for 700 reads! 💗