The Burning Coronation

Cal better watch his step tomorrow night or it could be his last.

Mare's POV
My maids fasten me into my dress. It's Cal's coronation day, with the actual ceremony in the morning and the celebratory ball in the night. It sets my nerves on fire just thinking about what I'm suppose to do tonight.
    I go up to touch my earrings to calm my nerves. I'll hopefully be with my family soon when this is all over. Except would they want to see the girl I've become?
   After my maids are done fixing me up they leave me until the ceremony. I look into my reflection in the mirror. The deep purple colored gown sparkles when I move and compliments my dark lipstick. My silver paste sticking to my skin like glue. This is one of the last times I'll even wear a dress like this. Because I could be dead before I ever leave this palace.
I know how dangerous our plan is but I have faith in the Scarlet Guard and more in Shade. I know he wouldn't just throw soldiers into a battle they're not ready for. Although he didn't tell me everything about the plan though which bothers me.
What I do know is that we're going to have some of the newblood soldiers disguised as palace guards and that during the ball tonight the lights will go out as usual during Scarlet Guard attacks. But the one thing I'm still curious about is that Ivy told me that she overheard Shade saying to someone on the radio that if the soldiers from the other country were here yet.
I already knew the Scarlet Guard was a big organization but another country? What country are they talking about or is country just a code word for something else.
I knew Shade wouldn't tell me if I asked him though. The Scarlet Guard has made him more secretive and cautious. I can't blame or judge him though. It's done the same thing to me.
   "My lady," a maid says gesturing out to the door. Another new guard was standing by my door instead of Lucas or the guard I had for training. Really now that I think about it I haven't see any of the guards that usually work. I don't have time to think of it because the guard starts to quickly escorting me away.
///
I have never seen a royal coronation but I bet it couldn't have been better than this. The throne room was decorate with black and red flowers all around, coordinating with the silk black and red walkway where Cal would walk to the throne to accept his crown.
I went to go see Cal yesterday to console him about his father's death. I heard people say he hasn't been out of his room since he found out.
   I knocked on his door gently and when he opened his door slightly he had red puffy eyes. It broke my heart just seeing him like that and it broke my heart even more when I remember I'm one of the leaders of the group that killed his father.
   He didn't look at me, even at a time like this ashamed of his tears and opened the door a bit more inviting me to come in. I did shutting the door behind me as I went and sat with him on the bed.
   "I'm sorry about your father," I whisper not knowing what to say.
   But when I said that his face scrunched up like he wanted to cry again. I wanted him to know that's it's alright and that he can cry in front of me so I did something I probably shouldn't have. I wrapped my arms around him middle and kept on telling him, "It'll be alright."
He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and sobbed softly into my hair. I don't know why I did that or why I went to his room in the first place when the one thing I should be focusing on is distancing myself from him.
But it's impossible for me to stay away when I know he's hurt. After a few minutes he leads me under the sheets and we just lay there. I lay my head on his chest and he has arms wrapped around me. After a few minutes he falls asleep, his soft breaths shifting the hairs on my head.
I think about that now as I stand in the throne room waiting for the ceremony. I don't know why I let myself fall in love with the him but I can't let that distract me. I have to do what's good for the country today not for myself. I told myself I would try to be less selfish. So I guess now is the time I would finally start.
I see Maven come in and when he sees me he starts walking towards me. I stiffen up because I still haven't forgotten what he did to me in the training area. Some might say he didn't mean to hurt me, but I know better
    "Hello," he says greeting me with a smile, "You look beautiful."
    I force out a thank you and he seems confused on why I'm being so distant. Maybe it's because I know your hiding something. Oh and because I'm in love with your brother but I'm engaged to you.
    I don't know how much Maven knows about me and Cal but he knows that there is something going on. I don't want him to suspect anything so I force on a good mood. I remind myself I'm here for the Guard and not for me, so I have to be on my best behavior.
    A servant tells us to start getting in our seats so I take Maven's hand and walk with him. We find our seats near the front and sit down. I fidget nervously in my seat even though there isn't really a reason for me to. It's just the ceremony now and the Scarlet Guard is going to be attacking at night so I still got some time. But I don't know how I'm going to make it through the day at this rate.
   I feel a brush of warm fingers on my hand and look to see Maven looking at me with concern.
   "Are you alright?" he asks, furrowing his eyebrow. "You look upset."
   I instantly try to brighten my face and squeeze his hand. "I'm fine." I tell him reassuringly.
    He gives me a tight smile and keeps his hand in mine as people start coming in.
   "That's our cue," he tells as we walk to the main aisle to greet people. I start to wonder where the king and queen are but then I remember. One's dead and the other I hope is dead.
    Once we're done greeting everyone we take our seats because the ceremony is about to start. We all turn to look at the entrance of the throne room to where Cal is going to be coming in.
   I try to keep my face neutral when he comes in but I can't help but make a little gasp. He looks incredibly handsome dressed in his kingly clothes with his hair smoothed back and giving that crooked smile I love. But I realize that his hands are shaking with nerves as he walks down the aisle.
   I don't want him to be nervous so when he look over at me I give him a smile. When he sees me he smiles back and it makes me heart swell.
    The ceremony goes for ages with Cal reciting all his oaths to Norta. The crown fits his head perfectly, nestling in his black hair. Of course Evangeline is up there too but she's not being crowned as she's not even married yet. She's not looking at Cal though, she's looking out towards the crowd. I follow her gaze and see she's looking at Elane and now I wonder how I haven't noticed before.
     She looks at her like the way I look at Cal. With love. All this time I thought Evangeline was a horrid girl who could never love anyone and just wanted to be queen. But now I realize that over the past few weeks that the tug on wanting the crown seems to be weakening. It's a crazy thing what love can do to you.
    The ceremony finally ends and all I want to do is go to my room so I can stop looking at Cal and attempt to start thinking about what I'm suppose to do tonight. It gives me a headache and I start to get nauseous.
    Once Cal and Evangeline walk out of the room it gives everyone else permission to start walking. I get my quickly telling Maven I have a headache and I'm going to go lie down in my room for a little bit.
I cut through the crowd ready to faint if I don't lie down. Of course I didn't realize where I'm going and I run straight into Cal's chest which makes me stumble.
He catches me though and puts me back on my feet.
"Are you okay?" he asks probably seeing how sick I feel.
I can't take this so I push him back and say forcefully, "I'm fine! Just leave me alone."
Thankfully no one noticed me pushing the new king since there would be consequences. Cal looks very confused and upset though and starts to speak again but I run before he can.
When I get to my room I'm grateful when I see no one is there so no one sees me break down in sobs.
I'm mad at everything. Mad at Cal for making me fall in love with him. Mad at Maven for being so suspicious. Mad at the Scarlet Guard for nominating me as their leader. Mad at the government for making life so hard for Reds.
Just as fast at the tears come I make then stop. Sparks that have woven around my fists slowly go away. I need to keep focused on my goal, I need to stop being selfish and help change the government I'm so mad at.
I drag myself onto my bed so I can get some sleep for the flamed filled night ahead.
///
I didn't want to sleep for that long but of course that doesn't happen. When I wake up I look over at the clock and see it reads 4:45.
I have to meet Shade and Ivy in 15 minutes to finish up the plans for tonight. I stumble out of bed and throw on some clothes. I head out the door not even bothering to acknowledge the guard at my door. And may I mention it was another guard I didn't recognize.
As I walk through the palace to the library I hear a voice.
"Yes. They will all be here at 9:30 tonight." I hide behind the corner and look into the hallway but I can't make out the people talking. I faintly recognize the voice but can't pinpoint the exact person.
"Make sure they do not come a minute late. You and your troops must do everything to kill Cal tonight." says another voice. But this one is  familiar to me. I really hope this isn't who I think it is.
My stomach turns when the person steps into the light. Maven looks the same as ever stepping back into the opposite hallway to walk away like nothing happened.
    What did just happen? Who was that talking to Maven. I looked back into the hallway but no one was there anymore. I probably should try to find out who that person was but theres only one thing on my mind. Why does Maven want to kill his brother? I knew he was jealous of him but does he really want to be king that bad.
I already know the answer. Elara's alive. And she must be planning the attack tonight so Maven gets the crown. But maybe that wasn't actually Maven, I mean I was wrong the last time I saw Maven planning to kill his brother.
    But there's no one that would know I would be coming down this hallway so they can't plan to trick me like last time. It must be him. I walk faster to the library.
   As I walk I think I can't really judge Maven for wanting to kill his brother since I'm going to do that tonight too. But we can't let Elara get the throne so I have to warn Shade.
   Once I go to the library Shade and Ivy are deep in conversation and don't even notice me come in. I tell them what I saw and Shade doesn't look surprised.
   "I knew Elara couldn't be dead and what better night to strike than tonight. She's desperate to get the crown. You have to get to Cal before he does tonight Mare. You have to."
     I don't look at him when I nod back but he doesn't seem to mind.
   "You should go get ready." Ivy tells me. "Your maids are probably waiting for you."
    I nod again and start to walk up the stairs out of the underground room. I faintly hear Shade say, "We have to call backup."
    What that means I don't know and I'm not too excited to find out.
  ///
    My maids leave the room when they're done with me. For once I'm glad my dress is long since it'll cover my feet. I quickly slip off my high heels and put on black combat boots that come my to my ankle instead. I'll probably be running for my life tonight and they'll be much easier not in heels.
A knock summons me to the door where I open it up to see Maven. He offers his arm and walks me down the hallway. I check his face and his posture to see if there's any cracks but he looks the same as ever. I got to trust my gut to not trust him though.
      The ballroom looks amazing with all the decorations for tonight. Red, black, gold, and sliver are all shown in forms around the room. Maven and I go to our designated spot to welcome guests, waiting for Cal and Evangeline.
     When they do eventually come Cal looks gorgeous as ever. I try to avert my eyes, keeping focused on the plan. But part of the plan is trying to get his attention on me so I can distract him enough to shoot a bullet through his head.
     So I give him a sweet smile which he seemed to like very much since he's probably still confused on why I yelled at him earlier. Evangeline didn't even notice and probably doesn't even care as she looked around the room, probably for Elane.
    We greeted guests for a while and then it was time for the first dance. Maven and I spun along to music beside Cal and Evangeline until other couples started joining us. It took everything in my willpower not to back away when I danced with Maven but I can't let him suspect anything.
      Once we danced a certain time we were suppose to break apart and find a new partner. Of course Cal came over to me slipping an arm around my waist as an invitation to dance. I placed my arm on his shoulder and my hand in his and we danced along the marble floor.
    "Are you angry with me?" he said in a worried tone.
   "No. I'm sorry about my outburst earlier. I just wasn't feeling well." I say making up an excuse.
   "Oh okay," he replays not really knowing what to say.
   We spin around for a few quiet moments until I realize I have to stay to the plan. Here comes the hard part.
    "Would you," I say in a quiet tone resulting him to lean closer to me to hear what I'm saying, "um meet me in the gardens at half past eleven tonight. There was something I want to tell you." I say this trying to be shy but really I'm shaking because of guilt.
   "Of course." he says matching my quiet tone in case someone hears us. "I'll meet you in the greenhouse."
   The song then ends forcing us apart. I curtsy and he bows before kissing my hand tenderly.
   I try to walk away as fast as I can without being suspicious. I lean against the wall taking deep breaths and take a glass of wine that a nearby servant offer. Just as I'm about to take a sip, my lips touching the glass I see the lights flicker. It was the slightest movement I bet no one else noticed it but I'm a thief and those instincts never go away.
    The lights flicker again more noticeably and I stand up straight. I look at the clock and it reads 9:43. Our attack is suppose to start at eleven, not this early in the night. Unless...
A nearby group of screams confirms my thoughts. I drop my glass of wine letting the glass shatter on the floor. Elara's here and she's attacking.
////
I don't know where to go or what to do. I start to run towards the screams but I hold myself back. I can't die right now. Shade and the Scarlet Guard are counting on me. More importantly I didn't want Elara and Maven to get to Cal before I did. They will make sure he will have a most painful death. I know it's a stupid thing to think because he'll die either way, by my hands or there's but it makes me feel less guiltily.
I can only think of one place to go. The private hallway in the back of the throne room that I was suppose to go to later tonight to meet Shade so he can give me the gun to kill Cal. I start shaking again realizing now I'll have to kill his sooner than before.
As I run along to the hallways blending in with the screaming people I see flashes of red and dark green uniforms. Are they the backup Shade was talking about?
The Scarlet Guard must already be here judging by the red uniforms but who do the green ones belong to and why are the Scarlet Guard working with them.
I don't have time to wonder though as bullets ring through the air and once comes close to hitting my head. I run towards the hallway trying not to get hit and using my lighting as a shield.
A strong arm knocks me to the ground. I have my lighting ready at my hands. But then I see who my opponent was going to be. It's Lucas. I haven't seen him in weeks and now he's suddenly back.
    I want to ask him where the hell he's been but it looks like he has other plans. He manufactures metal snakes, which are coming to wrap around me. I'm so very confused. Lucas is my friend or so I thought. Why is he trying to kill me?
    But when I look in his eyes I see no recognition. He has no idea who I am. Then when I take a quick glance around I realize what's going on.
    This is how Elara got her army. It's the palace guards. She brainwashed them. It explains everything. The voice in the hallway that I faintly recognized. It was Lucas. The troops that Maven was talking about were the guards. And why the guards have been missing these past few weeks, Elara turned them into her puppets.
     I realize I have to act quick if I don't want Lucas to kill me. Yes he's strong, but my lighting is stronger. The metal snakes are wrapping around my legs pinning me to the ground but before they get to my arms I let out a shock at Lucas. It hits him in the chest making him fall back. It wasn't enough damage to kill him just enough for him to pass out. At least I hope.
I leave Lucas behind and start going back to the hallway. When I finally get there I'm breathless and sink to the floor having used up all my energy. I see a figure walking towards me and whisper, "Shade." relieved that he's here. But as the figure comes closer I realize that it's Shade.
A pounding headache takes over me suddenly making me groan in pain. Elara walks over looking down at my crumpling body on the floor.
    She enters my head. I feel her going through my thoughts and dreams. They're mostly about Cal and how I have to kill him. She gives me a laugh and says, "I'm proud of you lighting girl. Maybe I shouldn't kill you so then you can kill Cal yourself which will be much more painful from you than either Maven or I. But I'll have much more pleasure killing you myself." she says as I somehow slip out of her grip.
    It's only for a second though as she gains control of me again. She makes me smash my self against the wall. Again I feel a sickly pain all through me forcing me down. Her deadly powers go through me and I know I won't last for much longer. It's the most painful thing I've ever been through in my whole life. I'll be dead soon I'm sure of it.
     I cry through the pain not wanting to be strong. I want to see Kilorn and my family before I go and tell them I'm sorry for what I've done to them. I want to see Cal and tell him that I love him. I give up trying to fight Elara. She's contained my sparks so I can't use them either. I fall to the ground prepared for my death. Just as many eyes are closing, I feel another urge of pain but this one is different than the rest.
     I use all my energy to look up and I except to see Elara staring down at me ready to give her last strike but instead I see someone I recognize. Ivy. I don't feel Elara's energy anymore and now I see why.
   Ivy has a knife in her hand, dripping silver blood and Elara is on the ground. Elara must have been so consumed in trying to murder me she didn't even realize Ivy sneak behind her, giving enough time for Ivy to stab the knife through her back.
   "It's done," I whisper. "She's dead." Ivy helps me up and I give her a big hug to show my gratitude. She gives me a weak smile and then says, "I have to get back but Shade will be here soon."
   As on cue Shade comes right then as Ivy is leaving and runs to me. He hugs me and then says, "Are you okay?"
  "Of course I'm okay, I just almost died." I think but I just nod my head. He then turns back into the Scarlet Guard solider that I've seen too much of over the last few weeks.
    "Okay, Elara is dead but Maven is still out there. They have lots of silver soldiers on there side, but we called Montfort for backup so we're even now. We need to make sure we don't let them win because then they'll just get the throne. I need you to find Cal and kill him." He says all of this in a hasty matter and turns to leave to go back to the ballroom but I stop him by grabbing his arm, making him turn around.
"Why are you so set on killing Cal? Have you ever even talked to him? He could work with you and help. Because you know damn well that you and the Scarlet Guard can't run the country. There's Reds and Silvers living in this country no matter how much you wish there wasn't,"
He looks at me with a deadly glare and says, "I knew it. I knew you had something for him. I knew I shouldn't have given you this task because you would get your feelings in the way."
    He calms himself down and says in a softer tone, "I know you don't want to do it but Mare please. We don't know what Cal will do when we try to take over and I don't want to take the risk. You're the only one that can get to him and it's our only chance to make a change." he says with pleading eyes.
I can't say no to him. This is my brother and really how do we know what Cal will do. With shaky hands I take the gun he hands me, he gives me one last hug and before I know it walks back into the ballroom.
I tuck the small gun in the little pocket I made in my dress. It's hidden well enough Cal won't see when I pull it out and aim at his head. I need to go now. I've been hiding in this hallway for too long. I need to achieve the goal.
I slip out of the hallway and I see that the fighting is still going on and it doesn't look like it's stopping soon. Gunshots ring through the air as I block them with my lighting. If I don't find Cal soon I'm going to die in this attack.
Then I see him in his new coronation clothes which are now stained with blood. I sneak through the crowd going towards, when a bullet hits me in my leg. I let out a scream and fall to the ground.
No. No. No. This wasn't part of the plan! Blood is gushing out of the wound, now staining my dress. I let out a whimper of pain when I see a figure come and crouch down beside me.
"Mare! Where were you hit? I need to take you out of here!" Cal says as he lifts me. He finds the spot on my leg where the bullet hit and uses the fabric of my dress to help stop the bleeding. He runs with me in his arms going through the crowds of screaming people.
     He knows the palace better than anyone here so he knows where he's going when he takes me to a hidden room.
   He sets me down and lifts the skirt of my dress to see my leg. I risk a chance looking down and I see it's much more worse than I thought and the pain is almost unbearable.
   I can't help it as I let out whimpers of pain. He just gently shushes me and tells me it'll be over soon. He treats the wound as best if he can, using some water and tissue from the bathroom which is in the room.
   As he's fully immersed in treating my leg, I realize this is my perfect chance. I slip the gun out from my pocket and aim at his head. My shaking hands hands holding the handle of the gun. My trembling finger around the trigger. Just one pull back and it'll all be over.
    I count down. 3. 2. 1. But I don't pull the trigger. Give myself a few more seconds. Again. 3. 2. 1. I stop. Third times a charm right? 3. 2. 1-
   I can't do it. I can't kill the man I love. I let the gun drop with a cry and sit up taking my leg away from him, burying my face in my hands.
   He turns to look at me at the noise and his eyes widen as he sees the gun and realizes what I was going to do. He scoots back a little, looking me in my defeated eyes.
   "I'm sorry." I whisper. "I'm working for the Scarlet Guard and I was suppose to kill you but I couldn't do it." I take a shaky breath. "I couldn't do it because I love you."
    I don't dare look him in the eye but I feel his gaze on me. After a while of silence he whispers, "I love you."
   I look up in surprise. "What?" I say. "You should hate me. I was just going to kill you. Why don't you hate me?"
   "I don't hate you because I love you." he says in a sad tone. I'm speechless, not knowing what to say. Right now I just want to take Cal's hand and run away with him and hide from everything else. Then something breaks my fantasy.
   I hear a soldier's voice from down the hallway. "Look down here!" I know it's Shade's voice. Cal hears it too and gets up. He starts to crouch down to pick me up to take me, but I stop him.
   He looks confused to why I'm opposing. I says in a hurried tone, "If they find you they will kill you. I need you to go and hide Cal. For how long I don't know but go now. Please. I know you're king and it's your birthright but you can't win tonight. Maven and the Scarlet Guard are both after you tonight. I know you're strong but you can't defeat them now. Maybe later but not now. Go!"
   "I'm not leaving you!" he says trying to make me get up again. I hear their footsteps down the hallway, getting closer and closer.
   I pull Cal's face close, bringing his lips to mine. I don't think about how it'll probably be our last kiss.
   "Go." I murmur against his lips. "It'll keep me safe."
  He nods looking at me one last time before running through an exit in the back. Just as he's out the door, soldiers burst through the door. They point there guns at me but when they see who I am they pull them back.
  "Mare!" Shade says as he says me. He sees my injured leg wrapped up with Cal's coat.
  "I didn't get him." I say. "I'm sorry."
   Shade doesn't seem so bothered though. "It's alright Mare." I furrow my brow confused at why he's not mad.
   He notes my confusion and for once in a long time he smiles as he says, "We won."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  So this is the last chapter of the actual story and hallelujah I actually finished it. I decided I'm probably not going to do a sequel right now but I might in the future. Thank you so very much to every person who's read this story and it's help me improve lots as a writer throughout it. So stay in tune for the epilogue which I've already written but I'm just editing for it'll be out soon. Again thank you for reading my story! 💗