Chapter Seventeen

I just realized hockeyfan8731_1D and i have been working on this story for over a year now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking outside in the woods at two in the morning might have been one of my worst ideas so far, but it was for a good cause. Derek and my baby girl. Scott had told me that he had caught a scent from the hunters earlier today and now Erica and I were out looking for their hide out. So yes maybe I'm an idiot for coming out here so late with only Erica, but if this meant that Derek was safe then i'd do it again.

"Smell anything yet?" I whisper towards her and she shakes her head her eyes glowing a bright yellow.

"I think they might have covered up their scent." Erica stopped walking the leaves beneath her no longer crunching.

"Why would they do that?" I sighed and stood by Erica the cool air finding it's way into my closed sweater.

"Think about it," She shrugged, "Scott escaped they now know we're looking for them."

She had a point. A really good point. God i hate that she's always right. I nodded still thinking about our options before we head back to our own homes.

"Let's just do one last quick scan just in case." I decided.

"Alright, if you think it will help." She was giving me the benefit of the doubt which i appreciated.

"Thank you." She only nodded and we started walking again.

The cool night breeze caused the trees to rustle over our heads and the darkness was more than enough to send a shiver down my spine. I could hear the low rush of water coming from the stream not too far away from us. Erica looked over at me with uncertainty before she started sprinting. She found something!

I started running with her trying to keep up with her speed. What ever it is must be good or else she wouldn't be running like this. She made a sharp right and i almost twisted my ankle doing the same, her hair whipped behind her and I'm sure she tossed her leather jacket off. She stopped in front of a cliff and stretched her arm out to catch me.

I landed in her arms with a hard hit to the chest, "thanks."

"No problem." She removed her arms and looked over the edge her eyebrows knit together.

"What's the matter?" I finally caught my breath and her eyes dimmed to their regular shade of brown.

"It stops right here."

I noted the frustration in her tone, "so?"

"Stiles, there's nothing here." She snapped hitting her hands on her thighs, "they redirected their scent somehow."

"Throwing us off their trail completely." I concluded.

"Exactly."

"So we know they're smart, efficient hunters to say the least." I huffed.

"The annoying kind of hunters." She ran a hand through her messy hair.

"Yeah, c'mon," I turn back. "We can tell the others later today."

She nods and starts walking at the same pace as I. The woods suddenly gives me the chills no longer do I feel like it's safe for us to roam freely. She wraps her arm around mine and I secure it by bringing her closer. Erica no doubt felt exactly as I did at this very moment.

It felt as if someone was watching us make our way back and we couldn't see who it was. She turned back still walking her eyes scanning the woods for an intruder. I pulled her forward wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible. She looked back at me her eyes understanding.

"So it's not only me that feels watched?" She murmured softly.

"No, I feel like someone is breathing down our necks." I shivered and she nodded her eyes wide.

"Let's get out of here." She quickened her pace and I followed.

~*~

I walked through the crowded halls of Beacon Hills high ready to help Derek get to his next class without a problem. He had finally returned to class after his short lived pain and in all honesty he seemed much happier here than at home. My only concern was if someone shoved him a little too hard or maybe a bump turned into a trip. I bit my lip shaking away the negative thoughts. He was going to be fine.

Speaking of which, Derek stood by his locker grabbing his anatomy text book while listening to music. He had a over sized sweater and some joggers on the perfect look for a muggy Monday. I grinned and wrapped my arms around his waist startling him. He sighed once he saw it was me and a small smile stayed on my lips. He took out his headphones and turned so that he was facing me.

"How's school going?" I hum softly and he smiles.

"It's going great." Derek placed a soft hand on my cheek, "apparently our daughter likes math so I'm sure she's going be a nerd like you."

"Har, har, very funny." Sarcasm was practically oozing out of me.

"Yeah, she was kicking like crazy in that class." Derek shook his head.

"Maybe she was kicking cause she didn't like it." I chuckle and so does he.

"Maybe." He slips out of my hold and shuts his locker door.

He takes my hand and we start towards his class. I can tell he's at ease and I can't find it in myself to tell him about the woods and the hunters. Not yet at least. Derek looks over at me and smiles and it's hard to smile back. Why can't I just tell him? Why do I keep hiding these secrets from him? And why am I so guilty?