4~ Cry

Here is yet another update!

Three days in a row, this has to be a new record for any of my stories.

I was honestly torn about who I wanted to take the place of Nishiki in the last chapter... it was a choice between Ivan and Juleka, and I obviously ended up choosing Juleka. But my new problem is someone to play the role of Tsukiyama...... any ideas?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Marinette felt like crying.

The one day she wasn't working, when she had to go search for poor souls that had ended their life just so she could satisfy her hunger for another month, the one day she wasn't there was when Lila decided to strike.

Whenever she expressed discomfort at the idea of serving her before, her parents just waved her off, saying that they knew why she was worried, but they couldn't simply tell the ghoul that she was banned from the shop. That option held far too many risks.

Now Marinette was in her bedroom, watching Adrien as he slept on the simple bed-like couch in the corner.

She was supposed to be doing homework, but the stress of what happened to Adrien kept her from functioning properly. Eventually she gave up on reading the next three chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird, and resorted to just sitting at her desk, monitoring the sleeping boy and replying to any texts she'd get from Alya.

Marinette had made sure that her wall of Adrien photos had been taken down, replaced with clothing designs and designer magazine pages. He was on a few of them, but not too many to seem suspicious.

She let her head fall into her hands.

This was a mess.

What would she say when he woke up?

"Oh, hey Adrien! Yeah, I'm a ghoul, and now you're one too! Isn't that awesome?"

No, it wasn't awesome.

Marinette glanced to the coffee cup by her computer, her mom had brought it up an hour or two ago, when the sun had first started to rise.

What a wonderful way to spend her Sunday morning, waiting for the boy she likes to wake up and — upon realizing she's a ghoul — call the CCG and report them so that they would all either be taken into captivity or die.

He shifted, a pained groan escaping from his throat.

Marinette squeaked at the sudden noise, falling out of her chair in her panicked state before rushing to his side.

"Adrien? Are you okay?" she asked, almost regretting the action when he groggily sat up, a head on his head as he took in his surroundings.

"Marinette?" he asked, obviously confused. It didn't last long, realization dawned on his face as he remembered the events of the night before.

They sat in an awkward silence, and Marinette began messing with her hair — which was let down in a tangled mess from jumping across roofs the night before.

She hesitated, before finally speaking up, "I should probably tell Tikki that you're awake, she's the best at explaining things."

As Marinette turned to go downstairs, Adrien followed, calling out to her as she entered the living room ahead of him.

"Is it true?"

The question was barely a whisper, yet the girl hears him clearly.

She sucked in a deep breath, preparing herself to be killed later by the CCG.

"Everything you remember happening last night was most likely real."

Her voice was calm and clear, and Adrien remained silent after that, and Marinette left him sitting on the couch to go get Tikki.

They returned less than a minute later, Tikki holding a small cup of coffee in her hands. She set the mug in front of Adrien, sliding into the chair next to the couch where Adrien sat.

"What happened to me?" he asked as soon as the older girl sat down.

"We have a small idea," Tikki admitted sheepishly, "the only thing we know for certain is that you're no longer human — or at least not completely human."

Adrien looked down into his lap, his arms were limp, "I figured that much," he admitted, having no idea what he was going to do.

"We think it's because of Lila," Marinette piped up, still uneasy about the fact Adrien knew she was a ghoul — a monster, "she asked you on a date, didn't she? When I wasn't working?"

Adrien nodded, shocked at how normal Marinette seemed, he could almost believe last night never happened. Almost.

"She attacked you, didn't she?"

He nodded again, biting his lip at the memory that was still fresh in his mind.

Tikki spoke next, leaning forward as she explained he situation to him, "You had an organ transplant, and received the organs from an unknown girl who was killed in the 'construction accident'. That girl is who we are assuming to be Lila."

Adrien caught on quickly, "So I now have the organs of a ghoul inside me..."

"Which makes you unable to consume normal food."

Adrien sighed, glancing at the cup of coffee, which smelt strangely normal...

Tikki saw Adrien eying the cup, and she waved at him, motioning to take the drink.

"But wouldn't it-"

"Just try it," Marinette interrupted quietly, moving to fix her own cup in the small kitchen across the room, "You might be pleasantly surprised."

Adrien nodded, shaking slightly as he brought the mug to his lips. He let the hot liquid fall into his mouth, expecting the disgusting flavor to erupt on his tongue.

It never came.

Instead of the normal bitter rotten sensation, the coffee tasted normal, the flavor in a way only the Dupain-Cheng Café could achieve.

It made him cry, it had to be made of blood or something to taste this way, right?

"Don't worry," Tikki assured him, "it's just plain coffee, the only thing we can seemingly enjoy alongside humans."

He nodded, attempting to wipe away the tears. Marinette returned with her own cup, and sat by him, wrapping her arm over his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him.

He now had to suffer. If only she'd been at work that day, instead of leaving in search of suicide victims, if only she'd been able to warn him about Lila, if she'd done that he would still be normal, not some monster that everyone on this cruel earth feared.

She let him cry, knowing that he'd need to let it all out at this moment.

A ghoul didn't have the luxury to cry, and he would soon have to comply to that rule.