12~ Coffee

I started writing this chapter and this guy in my class pulled out a light saber to "fight" this girl... they then proceeded to laugh and went back to their seats.

Yet that wasn't even as weird as the time this dude pulled out a bunch of inflated balloons from his bag.......

What is wrong with my french class?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adrien was sitting on a park bench, sipping on a coffee as he flipped past yet another page of Chinese notes, memorizing as much vocabulary as possible in the span of a few minutes.

The day wasn't exactly cold, but not quite warm enough to be considered "hot". But despite the nice weather, the small park was still close to empty.

"So, you must be Adrien!" a voice spoke up, startling the boy away from his studying. He immediately knew this man was a ghoul, they seemed to have a distinct scent that Adrien never noticed before the accident that turned him into one.

Adrien could tell that the man was wealthy, though only a few years older than him — possibly in college? He wore a gray and black suit, one made of a high-quality fabric that looked much more expensive than the fabric used on his father's ghoul investigator uniform. If it wasn't for his formal attire, Adrien would've thought he was one of those kids parents told their children to stay clear of,
his gray-tinted skin giving off an eerie glow that clashed with his emerald eyes and blended with his black hair.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" Adrien asked in an attempt to be polite.

"Oh, no, we've never spoken before," the man said casually, "but Alix does love to gossip, and I happened to hear a small bit about Lila disappearing while on a date with you, and her scent really does seem to cling to you."

Adrien stiffened, closing his notes and slipping them into his bag.

"Please don't think I'm going to hold anything against you," he said quickly, "Lila and I were actually pretty close, but in the end her constant eating habits got the best of her. Everyone saw it coming."

The half-ghoul's eyes were filled with suspicion, and found close to no reassurance in the man's words.

"Oh, I should probably introduce myself," he said suddenly, before bowing extravagantly. "Plagg, the one and only Gourmet at your service."

Adrien laughed nervously, question in his tone as he replied, "You don't was to eat me, do you?"

Plagg shot up, "Eat you? My dear friend, you know close to nothing, do you. Ghouls taste disgusting, why would anyone want to eat another? The only one crazy enough to do that is the psycho Hawk Moth."

The tension slowly began to drift from Adrien's bones, though he didn't know why. There was something about him that just set you on guard, like if you looked away you'd be dead before even being able to scream.

"I heard that you had an interest in the miraculouses, am I wrong? Lila texted me that night, saying it was a shame she'd have to kill you." Plagg continued, "There's actually this old café I know, Lila and I went there often. It's a cross between a book store and café, so you can read while enjoying a cup of coffee. They have a few story-based things on the menu — not that we can enjoy any — but there's a nice atmosphere, we should go get coffee there sometime, and talk."

Adrien pulled out his phone glancing at the time. 4:58.

"Would it be possible to go now?" he asked, hesitating.

"Oui, but of course!" Plagg said, a grin spreading across his face.

Adrien noticed how large his canines were compared to what would be considered normal.

Adrien stood, at least it wouldn't be getting dark for at least several more hours, he knew he would be safe until then.

"It's by the Louvre," he explained, and Adrien stood as they began heading to the subway, "I don't really prefer taking the metro, but I'm afraid that it would take significantly longer to go by car."

The half-ghoul nodded, not knowing why he'd agreed to go anywhere with this dude.

They entered the subway, and entered a car almost instantly. After a few stops Plagg stood, motioning for Adrien to follow.

They made their way back onto the street, heading past a small crowd of tourists who were leaving the museum.

The café was tucked away, the street that went in the opposite direction of the Louvre, and Adrien could see several bookshelves through the window.

"Come on," said Plagg, "I want coffee."

That was pretty direct, Adrien thought, following the ghoul into the small shop.

"Bonjour, welcome!" a girl called from behind the counter, the "welcome" being in a heavily-accented English.

They sat at a table by the window, peering at the small menus placed in front of their chairs.

"Welcome back, Plagg," the girl said as she approached the table, "will it be the same as always?" she asked.

"You know me so well," he gushed, acting quite flattered that she'd asked him.

"And you?" the girl asked, turning to face Adrien.

"Oh, one black coffee, please."

She nodded, "It seems you two have similar tastes," she joked, before heading behind the counter to brew the drinks, "feel free to read anything from the shelves!"

The girl returned a minute later, setting the two mugs down before leaving to collect empty plates from another table and prepare it for more costumers.

Plagg appeared to enter into a deep thought as they sipped on their coffee, and Adrien paid no mind at first. That ended when Plagg's coffee mug suddenly shattered.

Adrien jumped back slightly, before sighing and reaching over to help clean up the mess, "You have to be more careful-"

A piece of glass sliced into his skin, cutting him off as his finger erupted in pain.

"Oh, here," Plagg pulled a small handkerchief from his pocket, tossing it over Adrien's bleeding finger, "I'm sorry, it was completely my fault." he confessed.

"Um... it stopped bleeding." Adrien noted, surprise filling his tone. "I can get this cleaned and return it to you..."

Plagg quickly snatched the handkerchief from Adrien, "No, no, it's fine, I can clean it."

Adrien watched him with confusion as he flagged over the worker, giving her a large tip as he apologized for the mess.

"Oh, and Adrien, before I forget, I'd like to show you Lila's favorite place. It might help you understand her more, I'll pick you up after school tomorrow, if that's okay."

The half-ghoul simply nodded, still unsure of what to think about the man who now ran off to the restroom.

Adrien pushed the thoughts away, he felt bad for being suspicious, Plagg seemed like a nice guy. Besides, what could really go wrong?