16~ Manon

SO I'M GONNA BE AN ADULT IN LESS THAN A YEAR AND AM PROBABLY GOING TO FAIL SCHOOL AND NOT GET THE COLLEGE I WANT BECAUSE I CAN'T DO STUPID MATH AND HAHAHA IT TURNS OUT I'M ALLERGIC TO COFFEE SO I'VE HAD TO LIVE OFF OF FRAPPECINOS FOR THE PAST WEEK LOL KILL ME BUT I'M GONNA WRITE THIS INSTEAD OF STUDYING OR DOING HOMEWORK BECAUSE THAT'S JUST HOW I DO THINGS

- a small update on my life

________________________________________________________________________________

The Sunday morning seemed to hold the air of silence, despite the crowds of people already awake and roaming the streets. The bells of Norte Dame could be heard faintly in the distance, ringing out over the entire city as some people left to attend the mass despite the dangerous neighborhood, and others simply enjoyed the simple melody.

Adrien entered the mostly empty café, the morning rush having already passed and the only current costumers seeming to only be a few ghouls. He wasn't sure what to do with that information, and opted to just avoid eye-contact before heading to Marinette, who was behind the counter where her parents were currently grinding more coffee mix from their store of beans.

"Morning, Marinette," the half-ghoul called, picking up one of the aprons from under the cabinet and tying it around his waist.

She replied with a smile, "Did you get home alright last night?"

"Yeah, I was soaked by then, but other than that I was perfect."

Marinette arranged a small cup on a plate and placed it on a metal tray next to another one, "These are for Manon and her mom, can you take it to them?" she asked, motioning to where the two were seated in the corner.

"Sure thing." Adrien replied, picking up the tray and heading out from behind the counter.

His good mood was replaced with confusion as he approached the small table, a loud "I want Papa!" rang out through the café as Manon stood, letting her chair screech across the floor before she shoved past Adrien, causing bits of coffee to slosh over the edges of their cups. Manon disappeared through the back of the café, a concerned Marinette sending a confused glance in his direction.

Manon's mother — Nadja — sighed as Adrien approached her, gratefully taking the coffee he offered her.

"I'm so sorry about Manon's outburst. She hasn't seen her dad or been home in over a week, she's getting impatient," the ghoul explained, and Adrien nodded.

"It's fine, I understand where she's coming from. I wasn't in the best mood when my mom disappeared a few years ago."

Nadja nodded, "I wish she could see her father, but at the moment he's currently dealing with some pretty dangerous ghouls... I don't want her to get hurt."

Adrien smiled, "Here, why don't I take her some coffee and talk to her a bit, usually outbursts like this never last too long."

"Would you really?"

"Of course!"

Adrien picked up the tray with the other coffee, turning and heading behind the counter. He entered the empty stairwell and made his way up to the apartment door, knocking.

A muffled "Go away." could be heard.

"Manon? It's me, Adrien."

Silence.

Adrien slowly opened the door. Manon was seated on the couch, curled into a small ball.

"I brought you some coffee," Adrien said, setting the tray in front of the little girl.

"Thank you..." she muttered, a small hand quickly darting out and grabbing the mug.

"Are you okay?"

"I want my dad."

"I understand that," Adrien admitted, "But your mom needs you too, you know."

Manon peered down into her cup, a frown playing on her lips.

"Why do the CCG want to hurt us so much?" she asked suddenly, and Adrienne was taken aback by the question.

He took in a deep breath, trying to find the right words to comfort the girl, "It's because they're scared of us," he explained, "we're different, so it's frightening for them."

Manon sniffled, "That doesn't seem to fair."

"Yeah, it doesn't," Adrien replied, letting out a sharp laugh. His heart filled with even more guilt every time he saw Manon, or Marinette, or any other ghoul that walked into the café. His father's career revolves around killing them, it just didn't seem right.

He hated that it took him becoming one himself to see that.

•  •  •

Adrien had all but forgotten about his work by the time Marinette finally came in to check on him. Shortly after he had visited Manon in the house, she'd asked him to help her with reading again. At least an hour had passed since then.

"Adrien, are you okay?" Marinette asked as she opened the front door, "You disappeared a while back, do you feel okay?"

She trailed off when she saw what he was doing, his gaze drifted up, and his face filled with realization.

"Oh, god, Marinette," he began, "I'm sorry, I was taking coffee Manon and completely forgot that I was meant to be working."

The bluenette giggled, waving off his concerns, "It's fine, you're helping Manon. Though I think it's pretty obvious that you've never had a job other than modeling before, am I correct?"

Adrien nodded sheepishly.

Marinette smiled, "Well then, let's just forget about this. I can show you how to start making latte art!"

"Sure, you okay with that Manon?"

The little girl nodded, "I'll just ask Maman for help."

"Okay, I'll send her up, 'kay?"

Manon nodded, hopping up from the couch and picking up her books.

She walked up to take Adrien's hand, "When will Adrien be back?"

This caused the half ghoul to smile, "I'll come back up as soon as my shift's over, is that alright?"

"Yep, I'm holding you to this promise!" she exclaimed, before Marinette placed a hand on Adrien's back, pushing him out the door.

"She really likes you, Adrien," Marinette mentioned, "Usually it takes forever for her to open up to people."

"Yeah," Adrien replied as they entered the café. "Now, what was that about teaching me latte art?"