Chapter One

Five years later

“...never ever gonna happen!” Jeanie growled angrily under her breath as she all but limped down the streets of New York, half dragging her right leg with a broken shoe heel.

Today couldn't have turned out any worse than it already was, literally. And with the way her entire life had turned out so far, nothing good was ever going to happen.

She had been on two bus rides and had used the subway, all in a bid to get to a job interview that she was certain she was already late for. The signs were against her but she knew she couldn't turn back now. Even with her heel breaking, she couldn't turn around. She'd crawl to that interview if it killed her because she had gone beyond being desperate for a job that didn't involve pizza delivery and house sitting.

Turning the corner, she came face to face with the office building. She made her way inside, into the elevator and to the fourth floor. The receptionist's gaze lifted as Jeanie's unusual footsteps produced by two uneven shoes heel reached her ears. Jeanie could see her eyes as it traveled down Jeanie's disheveled look before coming to rest on her face.

“May I help you?” The brunette asked, her eyes taking on a friendly glimmer.

Jeanie offered her a smile. “I'm here for the job interview.” She straightened, hoping to look more confident than she actually felt.

“I'm so sorry, Ma'am but that ended ten minutes ago. Mr Moreau is quite particular about punctuality...”

Jeanie could feel the walls close in on her as the pretty receptionist brought Jeanie's entire world to an end with that simple sentence. Yet, Jeanie couldn't give up, not now. Rejection wouldn't do. She couldn't survive another day delivering pizzas, the last delivery was the straw that broke this Carmel's back. After being hit on by silly teenage boys, they went ahead to mock her for rejecting their proposal. She'd have brushed their words aside if it wasn't so close to being accurate; she was a loser! A thirty year old loser with no life, no boyfriend, barely a job and zero social life. There was nothing to return to!

“Please, I know I don't deserve this interview but I'm desperate. I'm pretty sure that from my looks you can tell how desperate I am.” She gestured to herself.

“I can't do anything about that, Ma'am.”

“Alright, how about you let me in and I'll convince Mr Mon...” She hadn't paid much attention to his name.

“Moreau...”

“...that I'm a wonderful choice for an assistant. Oh please don't kill my dream when I'm this close to actually getting to it.”

The receptionist released a breath. “Fine, but you can't tell him I let you in on purpose.”

“Thank you.” Jeanie smiled, before making her way through to hall and to the office. She pushed the door wide open, her eyes coming to settle on a man who was probably not past the age of thirty five. His head rose up at the sound of the door opening and their eyes locked.

For a brief second, Jeanie stood there, staring at him, wondering how life could be so cruel to a select few. Here this man sat, breathtakingly handsome with the most perfect haircut, designer suit, fancy office, pretty receptionist, most likely a sports car outside and a mansion for a home. And here she stood, tired, worn out, broke, desperate, lonely, ruined shoes and most likely zero chance of getting this job.