Chapter Seventeen

The kiss did come to an end.

Jeanie obviously wasn't trilled about that fact but she didn't have a choice. Bernard pulled away, his eyes sparkling with something... Beautiful. No, it wasn't mischief or mockery, it wasn't love either. But from where Jeanie sat on the kitchen stool staring into the eyes of one of the hottest men she ever got the privilege of being near, she was positive his eyes were glowing.

Bernard straightened and turned around. It wasn't until he began retreating from the kitchen, did Jeanie notice that her mother was still in the room. And if Jeanie had thought for a second that Bernard had been glowing, then her mother was positively bursting forth with many colors like fireworks on new years eve.

Gabrielle had a strange, nerve wrecking smile on her face. It was a mixture of a grin, a drool and a glazed look; Jeanie wasn't sure she'd seen anything like it in her entire life.

The moment Bernard was out of the front door, Gabrielle jumped into action and an hour later, she was dragging Jeanie through the streets of New York and into an office building.

The wedding planner sat across from Jeanie and Gabrielle and listened with great patience as Gabrielle went over her plans for a wedding that was never going to hold. Of course Jeanie couldn't be the one to break the news to her mother; Gabrielle had practically told everyone who cared to listen and especially those who practically didn't have a choice because they were stuck- the man in the elevator, the doorman at Bernard's apartment building, taxi driver, man selling coffee just outside the office building, doorman of the office building, receptionist, and of course the wedding planner- that her daughter was getting married to a rich designer and it would be a highly publicized wedding.

Once the meeting was over, Jeanie was more than thankful to be let out of the overly pink office of the wedding planner. But Gabrielle wasn't done yet. Before Jeanie knew what was happening, she was trying on wedding gowns. How Gabrielle managed to achieve this feat, Jeanie had no idea. Considering the fact that she could hardly get her mind off of Bernard and the kiss they shared earlier, Gabrielle could be dragging Jeanie into a wrestling ring and Jeanie wouldn't notice until she was knocked out cold.

The first wedding gown was gorgeous, in Jeanie's opinion. Her mother on the other hand, thought the skirt was too 'puffy' and 'unflattering'. Six wedding gowns later and Gabrielle still couldn't decide on a perfect one. While Jeanie knew the wedding wasn't going to hold, she couldn't help but dread an actual wedding; her mother would drive her insane.

An entire day with Gabrielle was  torture. When the day finally came to an end and Gabrielle said goodnight, Jeanie heaved a breath- one she was certain she had been holding the entire day- and made herself a sandwich.

Plopping herself on the couch, she turned on the tv and began surfing through the channels. There wasn't anything of interest to her so she leaned back against the couch.

She must have fallen asleep because when she opened her eyes, she was floating... Wait, no! She was being carried! She gasped and looked up, seeing Bernard's chin from where she was in his arms. He must have reached the room already because she was now being placed on the bed.

Before Jeanie could even react, Bernard had walked out through a door she knew very well led to the bathroom and ten minutes later, he walked back in wearing nothing but his gray pajamas pants.

For a brief second, Jeanie's breath ceased as she stared at his solid chest. Did he think she was still asleep? Should she pretend to still be asleep? It was impossible to tear her gaze off of his muscled chest but he was already bending to settle on his make shift bed on the carpet, removing those perfect muscles from her line of vision.