Chapter Eighteen

In the weeks that followed Gabrielle's arrival to New York, Bernard found himself looking forward to kissing Jeanie good bye every morning before work.

Every kiss created a different kind of excitement on his inside and as the weeks went by, it became increasingly difficult to end the kiss.

A part of him needed to convince himself it was just an act but the majority part knew that he was starting to feel something for the blonde head who was now seated before him with a questioning look on her face.

Releasing a sigh, “I think it's a great idea.” He said with a smile.

“What?!” Jeanie and Gabrielle said at once.

Jeanie turned to give her mother a frown before turning back to give him the 'are you missing a nut in your head' look. He didn't know how he knew to interpret that look but he did. That was another odd thing that was beginning to happen to Bernard; in two months, he knew Jeanie well enough to read her mind even before she voiced her thoughts and that was saying a lot because Bernard never did care to listen to people's actual words in the past, least of all, their thoughts and expressions.

“I think it's a great idea that Gabrielle wants to be a model in the fashion show.”

Jeanie threw her hands in the air in surrender and Amanda laughed. For a second, Bernard had forgotten about Amanda's presence.

“You said it yourself, Jeanie, it'll be great if we have ordinary, everyday people walk the runway.”

“Oh, I know what I said!” Jeanie gave him a sour look.

“Don't feel bad, darling, I'm sure Bernard would love to have you on the runway as well. Oooh, you know what will be fun?” Gabrielle asked and Jeanie glared at Bernard. “A mother daughter thing. We could wear matching dresses...”

“Sounds like something,” Amanda said, rising to her feet. “How about you two go down to the closet and try on some dresses. Julie, Bernard's assistant will help you out.”

Jeanie rose to her feet as well and gave Bernard a look that said 'this isn't over' before following her mother out of Bernard's office door.

Once the two women were out the door, Amanda strolled back to where Bernard sat behind his desk and settled on a seat as well.

“They're cute.” She smiled, heaving a breath. “But I think this is where it all ends.”

“What?”

“Your relationship with Jeanie, or Belle. It's time for a breakup. Actually, it's time for a public breakup” She nodded. “I will put out an anonymous tip to the media that you're having problems in your relationship...”

“Is that even necessary right now? I mean this fake relationship has done a lot for my image.” Bernard could feel sweat break out on his skin at the very thought of parting with Jeanie. He hated to admit it but he had managed to get attached to her.

“You already have a spot in Paris Fashion Show, your ratings are over the roof, your designs are sold out and you have one of the best collection for the show, I've ever seen. I'm your publicist and with the show in three weeks, what will be even better for your ratings is a breakup. The media will go insane knowing your engagement with 'Belle' is over, you'll get tons of media coverage which will be amazing for your collection. The Duchess has been in and out of New York and you still didn't get to style her.”

The longer Amanda spoke, the more convince he was that she was right. Everything she said made more sense that Bernard would have liked to admit. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to breakup with Jeanie. He knew their relationship was false and nonexistent but somewhere along the line, Bernard's subconscious had started to believe it to be real.

“Tell me, Bernard, what's holding you back from breaking up with Jeanie?”

For a while, Bernard just sat there, finding it impossible to speak. There was nothing holding him back.

Amanda heaved a breath. “So, does she know yet?”

“What?”

“That you're in love with her.” Amanda lifted her brows.

“What?!” Bernard didn't like how high pitched and nervous he sounded in his own ears.

Amanda leaned forward, her eyes searching his. Uncomfortable, he turned his gaze to the files before him.

“I've seen you kiss her.”

“...for her mother.” He grumbled.

“I saw it myself and that wasn't a kiss done to please anybody but yourself. You can either admit it now or I'll have the money prepared to send Jeanie on her merry way!”

“Fine!” He blurted out.

“Fine, what, Bernard?” Amanda held his gaze.

“I love her.” Bernard heard himself say and a broad smile finally settled on Amanda's face.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

Hey guys! Small reminder to please vote. Thank you so much for reading and do leave your thoughts behind, I'm dying to hear from you.