Chapter Thirteen

Reaching behind her, Jeanie untied the apron from around her waist and slid it off of her neck. She stared at the simply perfect Lasagna and couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. Lasagna was the only thing in Jeanie's life that always managed to come out perfectly and for that, she couldn't help but be happy.

Staring at the clock, she realized she had about an hour before Bernard walked in through those doors so she jumped into action; set the table, took a shower and threw on a very comfortably floral gown and with an extra twenty minutes to spare, she was on the large white couch in the living room, penning questions to ask Bernard.

She chewed on the butt of her pen as she thought of what to ask; favorite color, best place to relax, who his friends were... At first, she wanted to ask him questions for their interview tomorrow but the more she thought of questions to ask, the more she realized that she really wanted to know him for herself and not just for a silly interview.

Bernard walked in at thirty minutes to nine that evening, exactly thirty minutes late. Jeanie gave him a disapproving frown and he shook his head in apology. Once that was out of the way, they dug into the lasagna and ate in silence.

An hour later and they both sat on the couch with glasses of wine in their hands. Bernard had been completely unwilling but Jeanie wasn't going to let him off the hook so easily; he had promised after all. A few minutes into Jeanie's amateur interview, a few glasses of wine and Jeanie found herself laughing like a crazy person to everything Bernard said. If that wasn't proof enough that she was drunk, considering the fact that Bernard could never be said to be funny, then she didn't know what was. Was he even speaking? She leaned forward and squinted her eyes, his image all of a sudden blurring up before her eyes.

“I think you've had enough to drink, Jeanie. If your laughter is anything to go by, then I'll just go ahead and sleep.” Bernard rose to his feet.

“Wait, what?” She reached out and took captive of his wrist, pulling him back down beside her. “I'm not drunk,” She batted her eye lashes.

“Yes, you are.”

“Are you upset, Mr grumpy pants?” She laughed a little too loud. “Mm I'm right, the pants you have on tonight is the grumpy one which is in great contrast with your fancy pants.”

“Okay, that does it!” Bernard pulled her to her feet.

Swayed by that surprising move, Jeanie's vision swirled before her eyes and her feet was suddenly unable to carry her weight. Bracing herself for the great fall of Humpty Dumpty, she was certain all of Bernard's handsome self wouldn't be able to put her back together again. Her eyes immediately pulled shut as she anticipated the fall but to her amazement, something took a firm hold of her arm, steadying her while pulling her against something solid.

Opening her eyes, one at a time, Jeanie found herself pressed against Bernard's solid chest. And solid it was. Of course she had noticed how well built he was in the past but to actually come in contact with these rippling muscles, now, that was an entirely different matter. She glanced up, her eyes coming to rest on his perfect lips that begged her to kiss him. Of course she should have known it was the alcohol speaking but Jeanie found herself wanting to give in to the alcohol's great wisdom that evening.

With a shrug, she damned the consequences and leaned in for the kill.

**

Bernard knew Jeanie was drunk and as he watched her lean in for a kiss, he knew he was required to stop her. Yet, he stood there like an insane idiot and watched as her lips finally settled on his.

Instinctively, Bernard's lips parted to receive Jeanie's and a few seconds later, their lips were locked with his eyes closed and his arms wrapped around Jeanie's waist. Jeanie's kisses were soft, leaving tiny shock waves on his lips that traveled from there round his entire body. He knew she was drunk and probably knew nothing of what she was doing but he couldn't get himself to pull away.

“Mm...” She pulled away after a few seconds to Bernard's disappointment. He watched as she smacked her lips together. “Nighty night Bernard.” Jeanie said before falling against him and giving in to her tiredness.

Bernard carried Jeanie in his arms and made his way through the room and up the stairs. He pushed her room door open and gently placed her on the bed. Once Jeanie was settled comfortably on the bed, Bernard made to straighten but Jeanie's hands immediately shot up, taking captive of his face.

“That was a good kiss, dear Beast, we should do that again.” She slurred.

Unclasping her hands from around his neck, Bernard straightened and made for the door, refusing to admit to himself that like Jeanie, he wanted to do that again.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.