Chapter Fourteen

Bernard made his way down the stairs, his eyes unconsciously searching the room for any sign of Jeanie. He had barely been able to get any sleep the night before, unable to get Jeanie's kiss off of his mind. When the morning had come, he found himself getting up early and eager to begin the day, if only to rid himself of thoughts of the kiss they shared the night before.

He took the last stair and turned towards the right hand side, making his way to the kitchen where he hoped to get his day started with a cup of coffee.

Jeanie stood there with her back to him, dressed in a blue house coat with her hair pulled up in a messy bun. Bernard stopped just by the entrance at the sight of her, letting his mind take in her petite features. Other than the fact that Jeanie was extremely hyper active and reminded him too much of a ten year old child, she was pretty as well. Awkward and strange, but pretty.

Most likely sensing his presence, Jeanie turned around slowly. Once her eyes settled on him, she clutched her chest in what he would describe as a dramatic expression of shock, and turned back around sharply. From the looks of things, she remembered the kiss as well. 

Bernard couldn't help the smile that spread across his lips as he watched her. He had fully expected Jeanie to have no memory of their kiss, having been drunk when it happened, but she did. So, perhaps he left an impression on her as well. He watched as her shoulders stiffened before she reluctantly turned back around slowly, a defeated look in her eyes.

“I... Look...umm...” She stuttered.

He rose a brow at the redness that was now spreading across her cheeks; she was embarrassed.

Deciding to tease her a little, “what seems to be the problem, Jeanie?” He asked, putting on his business mogul mask as he stood there examining her.

She sighed. “Look, Bernard, I'm really sorry about last night's kiss.” She finally managed to squeak. “Can we just act like it never happened? It won't happen again.”

Bernard folded his arms across his chest and watched her. She appeared ready to die under his stare and he found her embarrassment quite entertaining.

Making his way to her, he came to a halt before her, his gaze perusing her. It appeared to him that she wasn't breathing and her body seemed to be trembling. Leaning down so his face was only inches from hers, he ran his fingers down the side of her face. With a smile now creasing his face, he inched forward until his lips was only inches from hers.

Jeanie seemed frozen.

“What if I want it to happen again, Belle?” He whispered against her lips.

She stood there, her eye lids widening. Bernard loved the tormented look on her face. He waited a few seconds, long enough for her to come to the edge of dying from embarrassment. Then, he leaned back, unable to hold back his laughter.

“What?!” Jeanie sounded indignant.

Bernard laughed some more and turned to find her glaring at him with her arms crossed across her chest.

“It's just a kiss, Jeanie, I'm sure we can both live with the memory of it. There's no need to be embarrassed.” He said, finally able to speak past his laughter. “You should have seen the look on your face by the way, priceless!”

“I'm glad you find the entire thing entertaining, Bernard.” She scoffed, turning to leave the room.

**

Embarrassed, Jeanie practically stomped out of the kitchen that morning. The ego on this man! For a brief second, Jeanie found herself anticipating a second kiss from Bernard as he leaned towards her lips. When his fingers traced the outline of her face, she could have sworn she felt electricity race through her skin. After raising her hopes high, he pulled away! And to think he found the entire thing funny!