Chapter Four

Bernard could feel his heart pounding wildly in his chest as he made his way to his 10:00am appointment with Darlene who was basically the god mother of fashion. Even now, as he followed her assistant who was ushering him into the massive office, he couldn't help but pray this appointment went perfectly well. It was the sole reason he came to London.

He stepped into the office to find Darlene, a fifty year old woman, who didn't look a day over thirty, seated behind a massive glass desk, with her nose buried in a pile of paper before her.

“Your 10:00am appointment, Miss Darlene.” The pretty red head assistant announced.

“Thank you, Brenda.” Darlene said, lifting her gaze to Bernard as she took off her reading glasses. She offered him a half smile, her gray eyes lighting up. “Mr Moreau, it's so nice to see you. Take a seat.”

Bernard returned her smile before placing himself on the chair. “Thank you so much for agreeing to see me on such short notice.”

Darlene nodded briefly, her gaze never leaving him for even a second. Bernard felt uncomfortable under her scrutiny and while he had gone over his speech throughout his time on the plane, sitting here before this brown haired female who seemed to hold his entire future in the palm of her hand, he felt speechless. He knew the next word he uttered could either make or break him, yet, he couldn't bring himself to speak.

Shuffling his feet, his gaze traveled round the office. Fashion magazine covers lined the walls. He noticed that everyone of them portrayed Darlene; from her modeling years to her time as one of the most influential fashion icons in the world.

Bernard didn't exactly like being under the mercy of a woman but Darlene was one woman he needed to impress.

“Care for a glass of wine?” Darlene said, breaking the wall of silence that was building between them.

For a second, Bernard thought of declining; it was 10:00am in the morning and it was against his work ethics to indulge in wine. But he found himself nodding; it would help ease the tension that he felt on his inside.

Darlene rose to her feet and walked over to a small bar in her office; something he was only now noticing. She poured two glasses of wine and offered a glass to him. He smiled in appreciation.

“One can only guess the reason you're here, Bernard but I'll give you the courtesy of telling me.” Darlene said, before taking a long sip of her wine.

Bernard quickly downed his wine, his heart beat racing.

“I know that the Duchess plans to visit New York. I was hoping you'd let me style her.”

A smile played at the corners of Darlene's lips, almost in mockery of Bernard's request. For a few seconds, she observed him before releasing a sigh and placing her half empty glass on her desk.

“I'm afraid I can't do that, Bernard. You see, I've had many designers come to my office from New York requesting the same thing and I'm plain worn out with their requests.”

“I know, Darlene but if you give me a chance...”

Darlene shook her head, filling Bernard with dread. “I'll admit that you're a fascinating designer, Bernard but your reputation precedes you...”

A bitter taste filled Bernard's mouth as he listened to her words.

“You've been described as many things; a male chauvinist, rude, arrogant, difficult and the worst part is, you have no charity that you're affiliated with. This is not a reputation I'd knowingly affiliate the Duchess with.” Darlene released a breath, taking her glass and emptying it's content in her mouth.