Chapter Nineteen

Bernard pushed the door open and stepped into his dark apartment in the middle of the night. Reaching for the light switch, the room was immediately flooded with light and it took a brief second for his eyes to adjust to it.

“Hello, Bernard.”

Startled, he did a little jump and turned abruptly to the voice that beckoned him; Jeanie sat staring back at him from her position on the couch.

“You weren't expecting to find me here, were you?” Jeanie smiled. Was she flirting with him? Something in Bernard didn't think her smile to be innocent of the charges of being flirtatious.

He smiled back, like an idiot. Perhaps he should frown? Or simply keep a straight face?

What was Jeanie doing seated all alone in the dark anyway?

He watched as she rose to her feet, her pink pajamas coming into full view as she walked around the couch and across the room to where he stood.

“Didn't think I'd be up waiting just for you, did you?” She purred, sounding strangely like a cat as she ran a finger down his chest.

Bernard observed her messy hair and couldn't help but think she had other plans that didn't involve flirting with him. If Jeanie wanted to flirt, she would have been dressed for the part. So, what was she up to? Was she trying to make him pay for the many times he teased her?

“As a matter of fact,” He leaned down until his face was only inches from hers, and took captive of her wandering finger. “I was.”

Jeanie huffed and jerked her finger away. “Great, because it was either scaring the life out of you when you walked in through that door, gagging you while you slept, or, seducing you and leaving you hanging. It was difficult picking a punishment for agreeing to my mother's request to walk that runway.” She swatted his chest.

“I see you chose the third option.” He grinned and she gave him a sour look.

“There weren't many to choose from.” She admitted, turning around.

Bernard took captive of her hand as she made to walking away, halting her in her track. He pulled her back to himself and wrapped his arms around her waist.

A confused frown was on Jeanie's face as she glanced briefly around the apartment, before turning back to him. But, she didn't struggle against his hold on her.

Bernard thought she fit so perfectly in his arms.

Leaning down slowly, he captured her lips and pulled his eyelids shut. Kissing Jeanie wasn't anything new, yet, each time he did, it felt new. It was cold, it was hot, it was a mixture of both. It was a tingling sensation on his skin. It was an acceleration of his heart beat. It was butterflies in his stomach. It was nothingness. It was everything. It was beautiful.

Jeanie responded to his kiss, her palms pressed slightly against his cheeks. Her hands felt warm, embedding itself in his skin.

Pulling away slowly, “I need to tell you something.” He whispered against her lips.

Jeanie stood before him, seemingly unable to speak.

“Amanda thinks it's time to end our fake relationship. There is apparently no need for Belle any longer.”

Bernard observed Jeanie who remained frozen before him.

“I'll have your money prepared by tomorrow.” He said.

**

Jeanie clenched and unclenched her fists, her mind willing her legs to move but her feet stubbornly holding her prisoner before Bernard.