Reagan, cont.

Present Day

"I wouldn't ask, but it's an emergency. I swear," Erin's voice is panicked and apologetic, and I immediately know what's coming next. "I was on my way to pick up Emmy from school and my car broke down on the interstate."

Sounds simple, but she's managed to leave out the worst detail of the emergency.

"Call a tow truck. Call the police. I'm sure you can get it straightened out," I bite my lip; these suggestions will only piss her off more. There it is - that same irritated sigh she's been giving me since we were kids and I was big enough to barge in her bedroom and annoy her.

"I don't give a shit about the car. That little girl has gone through enough. Get over yourself and please pick her up," she pauses. "The booster seat is already in the backseat."

"And then what?" I ask. I really hope she's got a back up plan for the rest of the day.

"You know what," she says, sounding a little more rational. "Please."

"There's no one else? What about Mom? Or Dad?" I swallow. "They're retired,"

"Jesus Christ, Reagan," she pauses and I say nothing, hoping she'll give up. But she's right back at it. "Be an adult for one second and pick him up. He has to be out of there by noon and no later. If you really can't stand him, why the hell did you come home?"

I swallow and it hurts. She's right.

Until now, things have been pretty easy. Guilt and memories aside, being back home is nice. It's only been 4 days, but I'm enjoying the time I've gotten to spend with my parents and Erin. It doesn't even begin to make up for all the years I've lost, but I'm here for a reason, and it's time I make good on it.

"Fine. But can you at least call him?" I plead. Anything to make this a little easier.

"Already did. He promised not to be weird," she assures me.

"Great," I say with wide eyes as we disconnect. I swear if she's lying...

"Thank you," she says finally. Her tone is more grateful than I would've expected and it startles me; she's always cared about him, but feels like a different level.

I drain my mug of coffee and set it in the sink before hopping in Luke's car. The air is crisp, but I roll a window down. I love the smell of burning leaves in Fall, and it helps settle my nerves.

Two hours ago I'd planned on jotting down some lyrics to a melody I've had stuck in my head since the plane ride here. Now I'm pulling in the parking lot of an ordinary looking school building and hoping to muddle my way through this day.

I have no clue what I'm doing, so I pull around in the pickup lane and hope for the best. Erin called the school to tell them the change in plans for Emmy's pickup, but I have no idea if they'll actually let her get in a car with a stranger.

A few tiny kids trickle out of the school doors followed by a teacher, and I watch carefully so I don't miss her. I turn down then music and glance back at the booster seat. When I look up, Emmy appears beside my door, holding her teacher's hand.

"Is this her, sweetie?" her teacher asks and Emmy nods and waves to me. I'm way out of my element and not sure what to do next.

"You gotta open my door and buckle me in, silly," she says happily. "I'm not big enough for all of that,"

"Right," I hop out of the car and fasten her in carefully. "Sorry for the change in plans today."

"It's fine. Can we go get Daddy now?" Straight to the point. I like it.