Reagan, cont.

Present Day

"How're you doing in there, Reags? Just about ready?" Luke knocks on the bathroom door lightly just as I'm capping my tube of lipstick. The clock on the wall tells me it's almost time to leave for the ball.

"Just about," I tell him. I take one last glance at the mirror and smile. I'm a crazy combination of exhausted and refreshed, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I was short on time but by some miracle I was able to work out my hair, settling on a naturally wavy look. My lips are painted red and still a little swollen from earlier – it has been years since I've kissed Luke that way, and it was clear in the way we moved – hungrily, like at any given moment one of us might disappear.

Being with him again was more than I could have imagined. Instead of empty, I feel whole. I don't regret a second of it. It was right, and I can't wait to get him back here again tonight.

I move my hair off my neck, pushing it to one side and then the other, so I can push in my diamond earrings. I twist the diamond stud in my nose and figure I'll easily be edgiest one in the crowd. I smile. I'm comfortable in my skin and clearly not a stranger to public attention.

That being said, I am still a little nervous about tonight. It has nothing to do with Luke and everything to do with the fact that I'm about to enter this new world of his. I'm about to walk in on the arm of Officer King and my heart is pounding just thinking of it. In the brief time I spent at the station, I could tell Luke was close with his co-workers. They are a small sort of family. I know his partner, Bennett, will be there, so that's at least one other familiar face. But how much do these people know about me? About us? Will the entire room know he's about to walk in with his ex-wife?

"I haven't even seen your dress and I already know you're completely gorgeous," he says through the door as my hand touches the knob and twists. He's solid and handsome and the first thing I see when I open the door. My eyes lock on his, and it's easy to see the change in his expression from anxious to excited – a lightening of his eyes...that lopsided smirk. He's the one who's completely gorgeous.

His eyes smooth over me from my black heels, pausing on my little foot tattoo before running up my legs, to my strapless red dress that stops at my knees. He takes a deep breath, a wide smile spreading across his face as he touches my necklace. It's a silver music note. He presses his thumb into it for just a second, until it seems he's able to find the right words.

"Reagan," his voice is soft and tender,"You're beautiful." I reach up to touch his cheek, pleased that he listened to my request that he not shave off his stubble. He still looks neat and clean and professional, but I can't help but think that I'll get the rougher side of him again later. I can only hope.

"Thank you," I smile as his eyes float between my eyes and my lips. He wants to kiss me. He steps closer. Closer. He searches my eyes for a second, as if asking permission.

"If you kiss me now, we may never leave," I tell him gently with a smile. He laughs and leans into kiss just below my ear instead.

"You're right," he whispers. He smells like spearmint and a light cologne and I breathe him in. He steps and I take a breath and finally allow myself to really look at him. He's wearing shiny, square toe black leather shoes. His dress uniform is neatly pressed and navy blue with shiny gold buttons up the front. I swallow. My mouth is literally watering. He looks amazing and strong and while I'm definitely enjoying it, I'm also undressing him in my head. I make a mental note to let him take the uniform off himself later, because once I get my hands on him, I can make no promises about the safety of those buttons.

"We should go," I tell him, looking at the clock on the wall next to us. He slips on a pair of white gloves he's pulled from his pocket and as we head to the door, he lifts the cap of his uniform off the table and sets it on his head. He opens the door and I stay put, watching him. Seeing him. Really seeing him. I swallow, overcome with emotions. I am incredibly proud of the man he's become.