Luke

Present Day

"It's snowing!" Emmy screams from the front window. "It's almost Christmas!" She squeals, running around the living room in a circle. "When can we get the tree?"

"Gotta get through Thanksgiving, first," I remind her, tugging her hand toward me. "And that's only two weeks away."

"I know what I want to get Reagan for Christmas..." she whispers, wide-eyed, and smile. I don't have the heart to tell her there's a very good chance Reagan won't be here in December. She very likely won't even be here for Thanksgiving.

The doorbell rings and I hear boots stomping on the porch. Emmy peeks out the window then flies to the door, flinging it open with a squeal. "Auntie Erin! You look like a snow angel!"

"I know. It's pretty bad out there," she sets her bag on the ground and slips her boots off at the door, tugging off her hat and scarf. "Good thing I'm spending the night. Hate to see what it'll be like later. You two better be careful..." she frowns at me and I nod. There's no way in hell I'm canceling tonight.

This ball is not just a charity event; this is my time with Reagan, quite possibly the last alone time I'll have with her before she goes back to Ireland. I don't care if it means I have to cross-country ski to the damn thing, we're going.

"Two words, Rin. Snow. Tires," my eyebrows lift and fall. "We'll be fine. It's only an hour away."

"Fine. Well while you two are pushing yourselves out of a snow bank, we'll be cozied up here with some apple cider and paper dolls," she teases. "But you better call when you get there."

My thoughts are interrupted when I see Reagan walking down the stairs. She's unreal in a pair of light jeans, high black boots and a black top with a wide scoop neckline, leaving little to the imagination. Rawr. Her hair falls in waves over her back. My hands itch to find rest on her hips. To lift her off that stair and wrap her pretty long legs around my waist.

It's been a week since that wild kiss at her parents' house, but I have kissed her since. Just once. She was looking at me with the most adorable, soft eyes when she told me she'd rather continue to stay in at my place instead of going back to Erin's. I agreed, but asked her why. At first she cited Benson as the reason, but when my lips touched hers and I softly begged her to tell me the real reason, all she could come up with was "you."

And she's been walking around here all confident in everything from pajamas to jeans to mind-blowing skirts. She's been so sweet to Emmy, and we haven't screamed at each other even once about our past. Things have been fun and good and I have enjoyed our time together, but I get it. She wants to leave again. She thinks if she doesn't, she'll be tacking onto her already large lists of impulsive decisions. And although I'd keep her here with me forever if I could, I know she's right to go. I don't want to turn into another one of her regrets. Not this time.

That being said, I still don't know how I'll make it through tonight. She's not even in her dress and I'm already picturing the look in her eyes if she lets me tug it off her. I have reached the point of no return with this woman – I cannot and will not pretend that I don't want her. And I want to see all of her – those tattoos she hides and the stories they tell. I want to memorize the way she's looking at me right now, because it's nothing I've ever seen before. She looks relaxed. She looks happy. Playful. Strong.

And here I was worried she'd be high strung and reluctant about going with me tonight.

"You almost ready to go?" I ask, looking up at her on that stair. She nods, and I can't take my eyes off her lips. I want to taste them again. They are softer than I remember. Warmer. They're wicked and fierce and it took everything inside of me to not screw her against that door at her parents' house. Just a few sexy moments with her told me she'd be even hotter in bed. But I held it together – one, because my baby girl was in the next room, and two, because I don't want to make the wrong move when it comes to Reagan. For either of us.