Chapter 7

She was back just in time.

Trufflehunter greeted her happily when she returned and although he was confused as to why she had been gone for that long, he didn't mention anything for he saw the faraway look in her eyes.

Everything had seemed quite normal for a while. Muriel had put the kettle on and was about to tell Trufflehunter what she'd seen, but then Nikabrik and Trumpkin, who hadn't been inside when she arrived, barged in. Muriel almost dropped the cups she was holding when they did.

"We heard something!" Nikabrik exclaimed while he was waving around with his little arms. Trumpkin stood next to him and appeared to be a little calmer as he spoke, "it's Telmarine soldiers."

Muriel was in shock as the two dwarves discussed the situation with Trufflehunter. She thought about the fireworks she had seen and what that had to do with the soldiers in the woods, yet she couldn't find the connection. "What do we do?" Her voice was merely a whisper but all three had heard it.

"You," Nikabrik pointed at her with his finger, "you do nothing. We'll go outside and deal with them, but you stay here."

It almost seemed like Nikabrik words were spoken out of concern, that he wanted to protect her, but Muriel knew that that wasn't the case. Nikabrik didn't like her, he never did and he certainly didn't hide it, but now was not the time for disagreements. So Muriel straightened her shoulders and cleared her throat.

"In Archenland I'm known for my skill with a sword, you could say I'm the best swordsmen there." She cringed a little at how narcissistic that sounded but continued nonetheless, "and I'm not going to sit around and do nothing. So, what are we going to do, Nikabrik?"

Nikabrik was quiet, Trufflehunter tried to hide a smile and Trumpkin looked at her with a look of new found respect.

After a painful moment of complete silence Nikabrik frowned and turned around to pick up his sword and made his way to the door

"Follow me."

Muriel shared a look with the badger and the other dwarve before walking after Nikabrik alongside Trumpkin.

Muriel gaze settled on a person laying on the ground in front of their home after Nikabrik had abruptly opened the door.

"He's seen us!"

Trumpkin was the first to react, he unsheathed his sword and ran towards the figure. His pace suddenly slowed down when he saw something lay on the ground besides the young man, Muriel, who couldn't see what it was, slowly took a couple steps towards the two.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Telmarine soldiers approached on their horses and Trumpkin yelled at the two.

"Muriel, inside now!" His gaze settled on Nikabrik before running off to fight the soldiers, "take care of him!"

Muriel couldn't move and followed Trumpkin with her eyes as he ran off. She realized that it was far too dangerous for Trumpkin to go alone, but before she could run after him her attention was drawn by the dwarf that was now approaching the man with his sword drawn. Suddenly her feet lifted up from the ground and she found herself moving, rather quickly, towards the two.

But before she could reach them the mysterious man had lifted something, what suddenly looked like a horn, to his mouth.

"NO!"

"Wait!"

But the man had already blown the horn before Nikabrik knocked him out cold.

~~⭕~~