Chapter 24

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians just as it does to men. Any Telmarines who want to stay here and live in peace are welcome to, and for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

The Narnians and Telmarines listened to the words of their King, Caspian the tenth, as they stood gathered around the platform he, Aslan and the other royals were standing on. 

Muriel, and the others, were dressed in different clothes than the day before. She, Lucy and Susan had spent picking dresses the evening before and even though she had never been one to worry about it, Muriel had really liked fussing over an outfit with other girls for a change. Having two sisters instead of a brother was nice for once. 

The morning after, Caspian had informed Muriel that everyone would assemble that afternoon and that there would be a celebration after. Muriel had jokingly asked if they were going to get rid of the Telmarines and throw a party to celerate that, but Caspian had told her that Aslan was indeed going to sent them home.

And now here they stood, the Telmarines looking at Caspian with mixed feelings.

"It has been generations since we left Telmar," said someone in the crowd.

"We are not referring to Telmar." It was Aslan who had spoken this time. "Your ancestors were sea-faring brigards, pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world, the same world as our kings and queens."

Muriel glanced over at the Pevensies, who were just as surprised as she was. 

"It is to that island I can return you," continued Aslan. "It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

It remained silent for a moment. Many of the Telmarines were scared for what they would find on that island, others were thinking thoroughly about the offer, one of them was Glozelle. The former general stepped forward. "I'll go. I will accept the offer."

"So will we." followed Caspian's aunt, Prunaprismia, who was carrying her newborn son closely to her chest. Muriel glanced at the little baby in her arms and wondered how such an adorable little child had been the start of such a big war.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world will be good."

Aslan breathed on the Telmarines who had been brave enough to be the first to go back to their own world. Behind him the tree suddenly began to twist, forming a round opening. Muriel had to stop her mouth from falling open as she watched how the Telmarines walked through the door and vanished. Several gasps could be heard after that. 

Clearly some of the Telmarines were only getting more scared, one even exclaimed, "how do we know he is not leading us to our deaths?!"

Reepicheep quickly looked up at Aslan. "Sire, if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice through with no delay." The mouse had once again proved how incredibly loyal he was, but this time there was no need for his sacrifice because Peter stepped forward after Aslan had looked at him and Susan.

"We'll go."

Lucy, Edmund, Caspian and Muriel looked at Peter in surprise. Only Susan seemed to be aware of what was going on.

"We will?" questioned a confused Edmund.

"Come on," Peter began, "our time's up." The High King walked towards Caspian, who was looking at him in shock when Peter offered him his sword. But the oldest Pevensie smiled. "After all, we're not really needed here anymore."

"I will look after it until you return," spoke Caspian as he took the sword. Peter, however, shook his head and Susan told them the reason.

"I'm afraid that's just it." The Gentle Queen said solemnly, "we're not coming back."