Chapter 33

Chaos had ceased and peace had settled over Archenland once again.

Since there hadn't been that much of a battle, things had returned to normal pretty quickly. Remains of the front gate had been cleaned up, weapons had been returned to their rightful places and the panic in the hearts of the Archenlanders had reduced, leaving only exhaustion in its place.

The same applied to the six that had captured Lord Efrain. They were absolutely wrecked, especially Caspian, Reepicheep and Muriel, whose legs felt as if they were going to give up on them after their long journey. So after a few hours of making sure that everyone was looked after and keeping an eye on King Favian, seeing his skin slowly regain it's colour, they were relieved when Darrin and Ellyn, but mostly motherly Edith, had ordered them to rest.

Muriel had been reluctant to leave her father's side at first. She had feared that his state would suddenly worsen, she did not want to be on the other side of the castle if that happened. But she had not been the only person to stay in his room. Caspian had not said it out loud, but it was very clear to all that he would stay as long as Muriel would. She didn't like his chivalry at all, but as she had watched his eyes drop every now and then her guilt had won. After admitting to herself that she was just as exhausted she'd made the healer promise that if anything would change she would be woken up immediately. A few minutes later she had been escorting Caspian to a room very close to hers.

They had said goodnight, not sure if it even was night or very close to sunrise, and Caspian had pretended to close his door. Through the small opening he had watched her walk away. Only when he was sure she'd entered her own bedroom and not returned to her fathers', did he fully close the door. Seconds later, when his head finally hit his pillow, he fell asleep.

He hadn't slept so well in what felt like ages. But even after a full eight hours of sleep, he was still very dissapointed when he was awoken by the knocking on and opening of his door.

"Five more minutes," mumbled Caspian in a sleepy tone, turning his head to doze of once more.

"Not a chance," laughed a voice, which he recognised to be Muriel's as she skipped to the window and drew the curtains aside to let the sunshine in. Caspian screwed his eyes shut when the bright rays invaded his room. They danced across the cold floor tiles and fended off the shadows on the walls. Muriel found it fascinating to watch as the dust became visible, flying around like incredibly tiny snowflakes that whirled through the air. She glanced at Caspian to see if he was enjoying the bright new day like she was, but laughed even harder when he groaned and mumbled that he was not a morning person.

Caspian opened one eye carefully. Muriel stood with her back facing the window, directly in front of the sun so he could only see her silhouette. But her brown hair looked like a halo, a golden crown of light, wrapped around her angelic face. He could clearly see the beaming smile on her face and the passionate look in her eyes and it made him smile. He was so distracted by her sudden divine features that he forgot his sleepiness and sat up straight in bed.

"See," chuckled the princess, "a little bit of sunlight doesn't hurt." She threw a pair of pants, which had been laid out for him on a chair, on his bed and rushed to the door. "Now get dressed. I'll see you in the kitchen in about twenty minutes!" Before she had completely left his room she turned around one last time and pointed a finger at him, "I will know if you tried to dose of again." Then she was gone.

Caspian shook his head as he left the warmth of the comfortable bed. he looked around the room.

He still wasn't sure why he was suddenly so seized by Muriel's... precense? beauty? It wasn't like he hadn't noticed it before, her smile had been a beautiful thing when he'd felt alone and lost in the Narnian woods. But the thing was, he'd been so captured by Susan that he had never really looked at Muriel, the girl who he considered to be one of his closest friends. But their embrace from yesterday had left him utterly confused and he found himself really looking, and now, he couldn't stop.