Chapter 12

"It's only a matter of time! Miraz' men and war machines are on their way. That means that those same men aren't protecting his castle."

They were all gathered in the room where the Stone Table stood, the carvings of Aslan looking down on them. Peter had called this meeting after a faun had spotted a Telmarine spy near the How which meant only thing, Miraz' army was close. The Narnians were anxious and serious about the matter, Miraz had the upper hand in the battle as of now. But Peter was convinced that this was the right moment to take action. He stood in front of the Narnians as he tried to make them understand his plan.

Muriel was listening closely to everything he said, while studying his movements, expression and posture. Doing so, she was convinced that there was no doubt that Peter was the High King of Narnia. Despite the fact that he was dressed like a royal, Peter acted like one, his back was straightened, he held his head high and most importantly, he cared for his people. 

Muriel had noticed that moments ago, when Peter had approached some Narnians who had been too shy to face the High King. He had spoken to them like they were equal to him and Muriel admired him for it. But now that they stood in a room where the great lion looked down on them, she wasn't so sure anymore. 

There was a determined look in his warm blue eyes, one that she had seen before. Muriel racked her brain and tried to remember who could've been the possible owner of the determined eyes. Her mind made her recall the similiar look of determination in her brother's eyes every time he wanted to make a pass at yet another girl. But the princess of Archenland knew that that look was one of lust and did certainly not compare to the look of passion in the High King's eyes.

"What do you propose we do, Sire?" Enquired Reepicheep, who was rather intrigued as to what the answer would be.

"We-"
"Our-"

It got quiet when both Peter and Caspian replied to the title, there was definitely a tention between the two and it made Muriel uneasy. And not only she was watching the scene play out in front of her, all the Narnians were watching as well when Peter looked at Caspian with an unreadable expression.

Their eyes met, but it was a battle that Caspian lost immediately when he conceded and let Peter speak.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us!"

Caspian shook his head and stepped towards Peter, exclaiming, "But that's crazy, No one has ever taken that castle." 

"There's always a first time." Replied Peter.

The Archenland Princess began fearing the situation they were in. She'd felt confident before with the Pevensies at their side, the Narnians provided with weapons and their spirits high. But now Miraz' men were getting closer by the minute and Peter and Caspian were disagreeing on almost everything. Even the creatures surrounding them had different opinions on the matter.

Trumpkin agreed with The High King saying, "We'll have the element of surprise."

Caspian, still trying to convince them that the How was the safest place in Narnia right now, shook his head again. His eyes were desperate as he tried to make Trumpkin rethink his statement, "But we have the advantage here."

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely." Susan told Peter with a stern voice, while looking shyly through her eyelashes at Caspian making Peter want to roll his eyes.

"These are all really good points..." Mumbled Muriel, who was fidgeting with her fingers. But everybody was too busy listening to Peter that no one had heard her, except Lucy. The young Queen was sitting on the Stone Table and laid her eyes on the Princess in despair, she too was beginning to feel a bit paranoid. Only Lucy was not thinking about who was right or about the best battle strategy, she was thinking about Aslan.