Chapter 31

After they had collected the flower Killian and Muriel made their way back to King Favian's room. They moved like shadows through the castle. Their pace was quick as they kept close to the walls, trying not to attract too much attention from the enemies that had breached the front gate.

Due to their quick arrival the Telmarines had made their way into the castle, but the Archenlanders were strong and brave and fought well. Under Darrin's command they kept the Telmarines occupied near the gate, not giving them a chance to storm deeper into the castle.

Darrin knew that that was not their intention though, they were meant as a distraction. But it was good to keep them where they were, just to be sure.

His gaze was moving about constantly. First on his men in front of him, then to the hallways that led to his left and right and finally behind him. He wouldn't admit it to his men, because he had to remain confident to give them strength, but he was afraid. Afraid that Efrain would succeed and that he would be struck with an axe in the back when he wasn't looking. Even though he had his best men with him, surrounding him at all times and keeping an eye out for him, he could still feel Lord Efrain's presence in the castle. It unnerved him greatly.

One of his men appeared next to him. While he lifted his helmet off his head to wipe the sweat of his brow he met Darrin's gaze and informed him, "our defenses are strong, but with all due respect, Sire, maybe you should head back to the King's chambers. It isn't safe here."

"I'm not leaving," stated Darrin stubbornly. "I'd rather be amongst my men than cower back into the castle."

They halted their conversation to disarm two Telmarines that had wandered a bit too close.

"Besides," heaved the Crown Prince once they'd dealt with them, "Ellyn ordered me to stay near the gate and I'd hate to defy her commands. You know how well that turned out the last time."

The man next to him let out a sound that resembled a snort, but it was drowned out in the chaos of battle.

Further down the castle citizens were running through the halls. It was another kind of chaos, but Ellyn was using it to her advantage. She had put on a cloak and was roaming the halls near the south. Together with Reepicheep she kept an eye out for any sign of Telmarine soldiers or Efrain.

"I wish we knew where that bastard was hiding," huffed Ellyn as they once again stepped aside to let people through. They'd searched almost every hallway and room in the south part of the castle already, but Efrain and his men were no where to be found. "He has to be here somewhere, he can't have moved to the other side of the castle already." She sighed as someone almost bumped into her. "Not in this commotion anyway."

Reepicheep, who was trying his hardest to not get run over by the many feet, agreed. He had kept his ears -and snout- open to anything that would give the Telmarine Lord away, but with all the Archenlanders around them it was quite the impossible task.

"Are there any more remote areas around here?"

Ellyn thought for a second before she answered, "there are some hallways only a few people use due to it usually being a detour. I almost forgot those existed," she smiled down at the mouse, "I think we make the perfect team, Sir Reepicheep."

They shared a smile before Ellyn tried to look over the heads of the Archenlanders in search of a quick way to get to the more secluded hallways. Even to someone who had lived her for over a year this castle could seem like a puzzle. Ellyn called herself lucky that her first instinct was always to survey her surroundings and take note of escape routes and such. Probably the strategic genes she'd gotten from her father.

After a few minutes she'd conjured a mental map of the castle's halls in her head and pointed to a nearby door.

"We'll go through the kitchens, the servants often use the hallways to move around quickly. With any luck Efrain will lose himself in that labyrinth and- wait," she cut herself off and Reep looked up at her to see what was wrong, "is that Caspian?"