Chapter Five

F I V E

'You're stronger together.'

- Mia Toretto

/

Letty's hair whipped in the wind as she handed over the platter of chicken and grabbed the beer directly in front of Zack. He watched her but said nothing even as she walked over and sat in his lap.

"What are you thinking about, lover boy?", her voice sounded distorted and Zack glanced up to see that her face was different.

Something about it wasn't right.

"What you never seen a dead girl before?"

He noticed the blood leaking from her forehead as she sat there.

"LETTY!"

/

Zack woke with a start swiping a hand across his sweaty forehead. He could barely breathe and as he went to the window to get some fresh air, he spotted something.

The moon glinting off of his car made his stomach roll.

Pulling on his shoes and jacket, Zack snuck out of the warehouse and ended up in front of his Impala with the same steel pipe that Mia wielded as a weapon the other day.

"You shouldn't have left. You should have--"

"I should have what? Stayed with you and live a pathetically sad life running from your own shadow."

He took a hit to the hood of his car without even noticing it. The need to clear his mind of all these dirty unclean thoughts of himself and Letty just created a downpour that he couldn't control. Not anymore.

"I would have did anything for you!!"

"Zack! Zack, bro, calm down! Calm down. It's okay. I gotcha," Brian consoled him after taking the pipe and handing it over to Dom.

He wrapped his arms around the broken teen as tears rolled and he screamed out.

"Take him inside, Brian. I'm going to try to clean up this mess," Dom gestured to the broken glass that Zack had shattered.

After cleaning and bandaging Zack's bleeding hands, Mia gave Brian a look before heading out of the room.

"Want to tell me why you were yelling at and destroying your car that you literally built from the ground up?"

"Why do you care? Everything's fine. Everything's always fucking fine with you and everyone else."

"This is Mom all over again," Brian sighed as he sat down next to Zack and stared at his callused hands. "It's like I never fully got over her death and then I pushed responsibility onto you."

"I like responsibilities. I felt grown up but this is completely different. This is me losing someone I love and care about. She's gone and I can't even mourn her properly cause of the constant running."

Brian nodded.

"After all this is over, we'll settle somewhere where you can relax and think. Cause I want my Zack back. This shell of Zack isn't cutting it."

The brothers shared a meaningful look before Brian lifted his fist and Zack bumped them together with a small smile.

"Let's go get the money for your future, big bro."

"It's yours, too, bro."

"Too bad I couldn't be here to kiss all the pain away. I know you like it when I hold you at night."

Zack closed his eyes and breathed through his nose not prepared for the onslaught of thoughts that wouldn't let him relax at all.

3 of 3 chapters for today!!!