Chapter Thirteen

T H I R T E E N

"When you walk through those doors, our old life is over."

- Dom Toretto

Zack felt soft hands on him and he looked into the eyes of a woman with a head scarf and noticed her mouth moving slowly. He shook his head and cleared out the thoughts that he had passed away.

"You okay?", Mia asked as she stood from the chair she had been reading a baby book in.

He nodded but didn't bother to speak after feeling his throat tickle from disuse.

"How long was I out?", he asked once Mia handed him a glass of water and the woman stepped away. "Who is she?"

"A doctor. She's going to be my midwife when I have my baby. We moved here to keep everything under wraps cause Hobbs is on our tracks."

"What about you and the baby?"

Mia smiled widely still amazed at knowing she was going to have a baby with the man she loved.

"We'll be fine. You just get better, Zack. Brian's been worried sick after you didn't wake up. He thought you were going into a coma. I had to best him over the head with a book to get him to calm down."

Now Zack smiled at the image of Mia hitting her brother for being worried out of his mind.

The doctor returned with medicine and spoke fast and fluent Spanish so he just shook his head while Mia laughed. She began to translate and then spoke to the woman with the same intensity. They went back and forth until Mia was satisfied with the answer.

"You'll be fine, Zack. She said no real damage, you need more rest, and you should keep pressure off your leg for awhile."

They got comfortable in their new home which was just a little ways away from the hospital that Mia wanted to deliver her baby in. Dom visited with Elena and they all seemed to just relax even with the thought of Hobbs finding them looming over their heads.

"You are stronger than you think. I wish you hadn't done that but I can see why I trust you and your brother so much. It's not hard not to with those expressive blue eyes of yours. Especially Brian."

"He came in being dishonest and I was no better because I never told you the truth."

"You were protecting your family. I understand. You have honor, loyalty, and respect. So does the Buster."

"Thanks, Dom."

"Just don't do anything stupid like that again," Dom finished his Corona and smiled at the younger guy before gesturing over to the garage where he had a surprise waiting.

"You know how your car was destroyed through all of that chaos back there? I decided to give you a fresh start with a fresh set of wheels."

Zack grinned widely as he saw the nice new car that screamed DRIVE ME. He turned to Dom and extended his fist for a pound. When Dom smiled back at him and bumped his fist he was so happy.

He had his brother and the team to count on forever and always.

"Let's go for a ride!", Brian shouted making them turn to see the soon to be dad ready to get back behind the wheel for some excitement.

The three of them nodded at one another.

/

"Can't wait until I see you again," Letty stood at the hood of his new car with a sad look in her eyes.

He had been getting more recent vivid memories of her. It made him think a lot about what was really going on.

"But if you don't find me and save me- I'll be lost forever, Zack. Don't you love me anymore?"

/

He got into his car and ignored the guilt running through him as he started the engine and prepared to start a new life.

Without her.