Chapter Twelve

T W E L V E

'We're not stealing it.'

- Dom Toretto

Everyone had a part in the plan even Hobbs who seemed hellbent on taking down the team especially after the job was finished.

Mia handled the radio system linking them to what the cops were doing as well as keeping the others updated on their opponents' move.

"What are you doing, Zack?", Brian stopped him from getting into the car parallel to Dom's.

"I'm doing my job. What are you doing, brother?", Zack knew that he wasn't supposed to step on Brian's toes while this went down but he needed to prove himself that the team did need him.

"Dom-"

"Let him, Buster. I trained him so I can count on him to stay in line. Don't worry. Stay with Mia."

"No, I'm going out there. I'm not sitting this one out and if giving Zack my place is some twisted way of telling me that then absolutely not."

"It isn't, Brian."

Zack continued to get into the car and Brian huffed in annoyance at how he had to let this play out despite every thing in him screaming for him to stop his younger brother. Even then the two brothers gave each other identical looks.

"Zack, you up for it?", Mia wondered over the radio as she noticed the tension between the two brothers. She caught the ghost of a smile on Zack's lips and took it for what it was. "Then get ready for a helluva ride."

They left the warehouse with Brian on their tail until he diverted to a separate street and Zack focused on the task ahead of them: get the safe out of the police station.

He and Dom were one in one with each turn until they reached the station.

/

"Focused enough?", Letty's voice filled the car and Zack's eyes left the road for a split second.

He nearly crashed into a sidewalk but got ahold of the car and got back in line with Dom.

"Dom's going to be mad if you screw this up. He'll blame you and regret not using Brian, your bigger, older, smarter brother. The better driver above you and the guy he sees as his own brother. What are you to Dom besides a little kid?"

Zack shook the bad thoughts away as he focused on getting the safe as far as possible away from the sirens following behind.

"Just give it up. You'll never be as good as Brian," her voice cut deep as he shifted gears and followed Dom's lead when he told him to switch up. "If I were you I'd stop while I was ahead..."

"No!"

"No? Zack, what's wrong?", Mia's voice sounded far away and he could feel Letty's hand over his as he clutched the steering wheel with determination. "Zack?!"

Letty's face faded slowly until reality came clamping down on Zack.

/

"Zack?! What are you doing? I said I need you to fall back," Dom's voice boomed through the walkie on the dash but Zack had been too far gone to listen and he had pushed his foot further down on the gas.

The safe broke ties with Dom's car and Zack continued into the barricade of police cars knocking them over with the safe as he swerved with the extra weight. He heard Mia's worried cries and Brian screaming at him to stop. Everything sounded so far away that it didn't even register until it had faded into nothing.

He tried to get out of the car once he realized the safe was headed towards the cliff not willing to risk his life to hold on but his car jerked and he went flying back into his seat as the car flipped, crushing him into a small space, and he threw his arms out to cover his face.

Once he regained consciousness after taking a nasty hit to the head, he tried to move but he felt stuck.

"Zack!", he heard his brother's voice call out and he wanted to answer but a ringing around in his ears took over.

The sounds of gunshots made him rush to find a way out to see if his brother was okay. He needed to know and he couldn't see anything but the shattered windshield from here.

"You okay?", Brian's voice, again.

"He breathing?", Dom asked.

Zack couldn't do anything but groan in pain but Brian heard him and the two of them pulled the door open. Dom having had experience with wrecks pulled at the seatbelt to loosen it and helped Zack out of the squashed car.

"We got to get him out of here," Brian realizes once he saw the blood oozing from his forehead and the way he limped as he walked.

"You do that while I handle our friendly police friends."

Brian helped his brother holding most of his weight as they walked to Dom's car.