Chapter - 3

"...isn't that right?"

"Huh? I'm sorry, what was that?"

Terrence watched Monique as she glanced up from her phone. His expression wasn't exactly overjoyed with her staring at her phone through their entire lunch date- which was very rare by the way. Monique quickly put her phone in her bag and smiled innocently at him.

"I'm sorry baby," she said. "I know it's hard to get time away to spend with me during the day."

He shook his head. "No, I'm not upset about that because we have the whole weekend to share. I am interested in who has so much of your attention. Did you happen to make a friend? A work friend?" She usually went from work to home unless they had plans to do something else.

Monique nodded quickly before her body could lock up and make things look any more suspicious than they already did. "I was, um, making sure I had the right information for some photos I needed to take."

Terrence nodded. "I noticed you have on an outfit I've never seen before. Did you actually go shopping?"

Monique took a nervous sip of her tea and nodded. "Yeah, I got some advice from the work friend about presentation when I'm going out for photos. They told me I have to be more confident and, um, dressing confident was the first step."

"That's good advice," Terrence said. "I'm glad you're getting to know more people on your own." He smiled at her and she couldn't help smiling back.

On the inside she was kicking herself for telling those unnecessary lies. Well, the part about confidence wasn't a lie, Barry had actually given her a full lecture on the topic. But why was she lying to her boyfriend about another man? It wasn't like he was super jealous or anything. Monique took a deep breath and readied herself to backpedal on the conversation when Terrence's phone rang and he excused himself to answer it. She sighed and rubbed agitatedly at her temples.

When he returned he seemed rather upset. "I have to get back to the office but I'll see you Friday," he said. He gave her a quick kiss and hurried off to work.

Monique groaned and took out her phone. "Barry why did I lie to him?" He was probably working but she had to send something. The question was burning a hole in her mind. Terrence had paid for the meal so she left after finishing her tea. As she walked back toward her own job, his reply came.

"What's wrong honey? Lied about what?"

She stopped and leaned back against a building on the corner. "Terrence asked me who I had been talking to earlier and I said it was a coworker."

"Why? Was he angry?"

"No. I don't know. I was scared."

"Well, you'll have to tell him before he finds out. I don't want to come between you two after everything we went through to get your wardrobe together. Who would you have to dress up for then?"

"Okay, okay. I just don't know why I did it."

"It's okay, honey. Don't worry yourself sick. I'll go with you to tell him if you want."

"No, that might be even more weird considering how he saw you before."

"Fine. Then call me when you do it."

"Okay. Thanks. You're the best."

"I know. Don't forget to flaunt your new look and tell them who you got your fashion advice from."

"Thank you Barry. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye bye."

Monique turned and looked at herself in the windows of the building. She usually wore a comfortable pair of jeans, flats and a simple blouse. Thanks to Barry's influence the jeans were replaced with a knee length skirt and the simple blouse was now a wrap top- made of actual wrapping as suggested by Barry. It took her forever to figure out how to wrap herself properly. If nothing else she had to commend Barry for his fashion sense.