Chapter - 23

As awkward as it was, Monique was glad that Dennis did go out of his way to see her. The timing was questionable and it was obvious that she wouldn't be getting much sleep from that point, but it was worth it. Of course her first question was how did he find her house since they didn't share any of that information between them. He ignored that question. What he did tell her was a story. 

He told her the story. Monique had heard it before- Barry told it to her- but it sounded different coming from Dennis. It might have been the differences in the way they spoke, but, it just did not sound the same. The way Dennis told it made it sound like some kind of hero story. The story was about a beast.

He could climb on walls by gripping the tiniest imperfections, his skin was practically impenetrable and he had superhuman strength. Monique tried to keep her concern from her face as she listened. Dennis put up his facade but it slowly started to dissolve as he went on. He believed it just as much as Hedwig did. That's was why he was so defensive.

Dennis was being manipulated by that story just the same as Hedwig was. Monique squeezed her glass as she took another drink. He watched her expression as she placed her glass back on the coffee table. "I know what it sounds like," he said, "but since you were so persistent..."

"Oh, no, no," she replied with a wave of her hand. "I'm glad you told me that story." She sighed heavily. "Barry... He told me that story too. It was so interesting to hear. It also sounded different from the way you told you."

Dennis frowned. "He didn't like that story. I think he was afraid of it because it was something he couldn't control."

"What do you mean?"

Dennis shrugged. "Barry likes to control things. He wanted to keep us all in order but... Patricia would tell the story sometimes and he'd ask her to stop but she wouldn't. He hated it."

"Because he couldn't control it?" Monique asked tentatively. Dennis nodded. And because he didn't know what it meant. "So, he's a control freak?"

"No, but he likes for things to be done the way he says for it to."

"But...he is like a leader to everyone, isn't he? I mean, you want the same thing for everyone as he does...right?"

Dennis sighed heavily. "No. We want different things now."

The conversation drifted unto questions and answers. He didn't give much of an answer to most of them. Sunlight was peeking in through her curtains when he finally thought he ought to leave. Monique stopped him at the door. "Can I still visit you?"

He frowned. "You still want to?"

"Yes. Especially after what I've seen," she replied. "I can't let you do this to the others. You or Patricia."

"You can't stop it. None of us can."

Monique squeezed the doorknob. "You know that won't stop me."

Dennis nodded. "Patricia wouldn't want you coming back. Not after what happened."

"She didn't let me in the first time."

Dennis narrowed his eyes at her but it wasn't the same upset look he would usually give her. She knew he was weak, just as Patricia said. "She knows you're weak," Patricia had said. She knows everything about you because Barry told her your weakness. You can't trust her.

"I'm not stupid," he said. "I know what Barry told you about us, but he's wrong. I wouldn't let you back inside."

Monique didn't ask why- she could probably figure it out herself. Dennis had given her enough information to ponder for now. She watched him leave. He walked out onto the sidewalk. She closed the door and locked it.

Monique went back upstairs to bed. He's cracking, I know it. The best hope for those girls is for me to make him crack. I have to see them again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next time she got a text message it asked her for supplies again. Monique had not been allowed to see the girls. She hated not knowing what was going on with them. She ventured to ask about them every chance she got. It was lucky when Hedwig was in control.

He was more likely to tell her something. The more Monique she spoke with him, the more she was sure he was only a victim. "Do you know how the girls are doing?" she asked him during one of her visits.

"The one girl tried to esthcape so Mr. Dennisth put her away from the others," he replied. "I tried to stop them but they didn't listhen etcetera."

Monique spun around on her heels to face him. "Put her away where?" He pointed to the next door down. "In one of the smaller storage closets?" 

"It was her fault for trying to esthcape," he said with a shrug.

Monique put a hand to her forehead and sighed heavily. "What about the others?"

"They're sthill in the room."

She shook her head as she closed the door to the first storage closet. "Hedwig... Can I ask you a question? And will you tell me the truth?"

"Yeeaahh... Maybe."

She turned around to face him. "It's just a question about you.  Do you believe the story that Mrs. Patricia tells you?" He nodded quickly. "Why do you believe it?"

 "Because it's true. Mrsth. Patricia said he's really gonna come and do all of thosth things." His brow furrowed and he frowned. "How do you know the sthory about the beasth?"

"Dennis told me," she said. "He came to my house to talk to me. I was glad that he did, but now I have more questions that he won't answer. You're the only one I can ask."

Hedwig looked into her eyes with his narrowed ones then quickly looked away. "I-I don't know much."

"You don't have to," she replied. "Really, I just want to know about you. Why do you think Dennis took the other girl to another room instead of putting her back with the others?"

"Because she tried to escape," Hedwig said. "He had to punish her."

"Do you think that was okay?" 

"They can't leave," he said, shaking his head. "We'll get in trouble if they leave."

Monique put a hand on his shoulder. They have to stay here for the beast don't they? But she couldn't ask that. It would be too much. "I don't want you to get in trouble either. That's why I want to come over more often. Maybe we can figure something out."

"Mrsth. Patricia already knowsth. She knowsth what to do. I just have to listhen to her and we won't get in trouble. Etcetera."

Listening to him was just making her feel all the more worse. She now had a much better idea of what was going on and she couldn't let the girls stay down there. At the same time she didn't want to go running to the police either. They didn't handle situations with those with psychological issues very well and she didn't want him to wind up dead. Monique wanted the girls back home and the alters safe. 

She knew now that Patricia was the one calling the shots. She was using both Dennis and Hedwig. There wasn't enough time in the day to really talk to them though. This beast was one thing that she did not believe was part of Kevin at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I'm so sorry about the delay in Sunday's update, which is why there are two updates today. I'm gonna see what I can do about stockpiling chapters again. The commitment has been made and I want to keep up with it. When I mess up, you guys should get bonuses because you have expectations that I have given you. 

Please, enjoy the double update today and look forward to a return to consistency.