Chapter - 8

Barry's words plagued her mind even later on into the night. All of the honesty was appreciated, but it was so heavy a topic to be honest with. The fact that he felt comfortable enough to tell her about his disorder was good enough for her. He wanted to keep talking to her and being around her. The thought alone was enough to cause her to tear up again. She let herself cry because she hadn't in so long. Her emotions got the best of her. He had been so openly honest with her it caused a part of her she locked away to be shaken just enough for her to feel it.

After drying her tears and drinking an nauseously sweet drink, she picked up her phone again. Was it too soon to call him? Maybe I shouldn't call him, she thought. Would it seem too removed to text him? Wait, I should wait at least until tomorrow. Shouldn't I? Monique ended up staring at her phone for almost five minutes before going to get something to eat. She grabbed a bag of pretzels and went back to her room. Whenever she started feeling stuck on something she went to sweets or the unhealthy snack foods.

Instead of sitting there nursing a headache, she took to her computer and did a little research. The information she found was just upsetting. Most of the information was just repeating the same thing other websites were saying. She did, at least have some of her questions answered about DID. She felt a little better knowing more about it, but what she did learn let her know that Kevin's case was drastically different from the average. Each one varied but she had seen nothing like what Barry had told her about.

This made her even more curious yet more worried for him. It seemed Barry was taking good care of Kevin, he wasn't hurt or suffering. He had a job so he wasn't past the point of functioning in society as an alter, as she found the correct term to be. They were doing well. Something had him uneasy though and the fact that she didn't know what made her uneasy.

Surely there were somethings the articles and websites weren't telling her. Monique kept looking around for information until she couldn't keep her eyes open. She woke in one instance with her face on the keyboard. She rubbed at the imprint as she shut down the computer and trudged off to bed.

Before she went to bed she had to at least text him. There was no way she could go to bed without easing his mind and hers too. "I just want you to know that I do believe you. I really do. I did some research on DID so I understand a little better now. I won't leave you alone, Barry." It was a little embarrassing when reading back over the text, but it was how she felt. She wouldn't let him be alone anymore if he didn't want to. The text was sent then she spent some time under the high pressured warm water before returning to bed and easing under her sheets for sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There wasn't much to recall when she woke. Monique just had this feeling that there was something she was supposed to be doing. She got out of bed rubbing at her eyes with her fingers. She struggled a bit to recall the other day. When she did though, she rushed back to the room to grab her phone. Squinting with sleepy eyes, she skimmed her messages. There was one from Barry.

"You don't know how much that means to me, I mean, us. You're one more person who really believes in us. Thanks Mo'. There's some more I wanna tell you but it'll have to wait until later."

Monique couldn't help smiling at his message. It did seem that a lot of people weren't fully understanding what was going on with DID patients. She had a very basic understanding of how all of it came about but she would use her newfound knowledge to figure things out. Whatever else he had to tell her, he would have her full attention no matter what. Until later came, however, she had work to do. She had a text from work as well. Some started earlier than others.

She quickly dressed and headed out. In a moment's pause she realized she had to at least let Terrence know they had patched things up. But would he even care? He was pretty well convinced that Barry was playing a game until he got what he wanted from her. Monique rolled her eyes. She was glad it wasn't true but she felt silly for even thinking about it for the short time that she did.