Chapter - 20

Monique had a goal and she was going to meet it. When she sat down back at home, in her comfy chair, she thought about what was going as far as she knew. She really thought about it. The fact that the horde was asking her to buy supplies was odd. There were supplies there they could use. Even if not, couldn't they just put in a request for more?

The second was that the storage room was suddenly off limits. She wasn't allowed that far down the hall. On top of that, it was locked and had been in use the last time she was allowed in there. There was also the clothes. Why teenager's clothes?

The longer she thought on it, the more concerned she became. Dennis already didn't like her so anything she did made it no better or worse. If she was going to get even a glimpse of understanding then she would have to go against what little progress she had made. Dennis really wouldn't like her after what she was planning. She couldn't keep being so passive.

She was starting to think that things were worse than she was letting herself believe. After wallowing a few hours, she got herself up and text Dennis.

"I know that you don't want to see me anymore than you have to but I was thinking that maybe you or Patricia might like to have dinner."

Monique knew what his answer would be, but she couldn't accept it. She was already making a grocery list. Whether or not they wanted it, they were getting dinner. When his response came she quickly replied.

"It's just one night. Surely you aren't turning down free food."

"Why don't cook for your boyfriend?"

Monique was taken aback by that. "Because he works so late and I have to be up so early. I just want some company."

"You won't stop just because I said no, will you?"

"Of course not."

She coaxed him into letting her go there for the dinner. Victory number one. She could figure something out now that she had a better idea of the layout of the tunnel. This might be her only chance to really get inside their space. The first time didn't go so well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was made prior to leaving that night. She couldn't cook there out of the concern for the smell lingering. There were no windows for it to filter out. Monique got dressed and brought the pot with her, along with a few other containers of sides she put in her large bag. She met Dennis at the gate and slipped in quickly with her dish.

"I made stew," she announced as she set everything out. "I wasn't sure what you'd like but this isn't sweet, spicy or any weird flavor so I thought it was the safest."

Even after meeting them so many times, she was still nervous. "I made rice to go with it but you don't have to eat any if you don't want to."

"I wasn't sure what to expect," Patricia said as she looked over what Monique had brought. She wore a red sweater and black skirt with heels. They only served to make her presence all the more intimidating. "When Dennis told me what you said I thought that you were intending to take us outside."

Monique shrugged as she set down the plates. "I thought about that but I knew that you wouldn't go for that." She could feel Patricia's eyes on her as she made the plates. She was far more intimidating than Dennis.

"So, um, Dennis didn't want to join me?"

"Were you hoping he would?"

"Actually, I didn't think he would," Monique replied. "I was surprised that you agreed to this."

Patricia took a bite of stew and rice. "Mm. This is delicious. Do you like to cook, Monique?"

"Yes. Food is comforting for me," she replied. She changed the subject just that fast. "Do you?"

"I don't have much time for things like that," Patricia replied. "You understand what it's like to have priorities."

"I do. Sometimes I have to choose betwen work or food. Usually work wins."

"Choosing your obligations over something you enjoy."

The conversation ceased for a while. An uncomfortable silence filled the space. Monique had given the invitation intending to pry but Patricia was quite formidable. She was completely in control of the flow in the room and Monique wasn't able to direct it back to benefit her. Patricia probably knew it would go like this. I have to push back somehow.

"I met Hedwig last time I was here," she said. "He showed me his room."

Patricia nodded. "He was very excited about it, though, he was worried he had done something to upset you."

Monique put down her spoon. "I'm sorry, but, is there a restroom down here?"

"Yes, I'll show you."

Patricia made to stand but Monique put out her hand. "Don't let me stop you from eating," she said quickly. "There's only one room I haven't been in. I think I can find it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Just relax, eat and, um, enjoy yourself. I'll be right back." Monique hurried out of the room and down the hall. She went to the last door on the left and opened it. She made as much noise as possible opening and closing the door.

Okay, now to see what I can find. Monique went to the next door over where she knew second room was hidden. The door was locked. Of course it's locked. What was I thinking?

She could hear a scraping sound, most likely the chair sliding back from the table. Monique hurried to open the restroom door and go inside. She stepped back out quickly and closed the door. Patricia was on her way down the hall. "I was just on my way back," she said.

Patricia came to stand in front of her with her hands clasped in front of her. "I was curious why you wanted to have this little meeting. You know something, don't you?"

"No," Monique said quickly. "I don't know anything. No one's told me anything."

Patricia looked down on her, being a foot or so taller she really could. "This room," she moved to the door opposite the bathroom. "You want to know what it's used for, don't you?"

Not when you say it like that, no. Monique didn't move from that spot. Patricia unlocked the door and pushed it open. "Come. See for yourself."

Monique hesitantly followed her into the room. She went to the hidden room's door and waited for Monique. "You wanted to know what it was used for," she said as she slid the key into the key hole. "You can see clearly..." She opened the door and Monique froze right there.

A chill ran up her spine and suddenly she was really cold. Three teenage girls stared back at her from inside the room. Their expressions had to be just as shocked as her own. She took a step forward and Patricia shoved her into the room. The door slammed closed and was locked before she could react.

One of the girls were wearing a shirt she had bought earlier that week. Monique shook her head as her legs gave out under her. "No, no, no," she whispered as two of girls approached her.

"Are you okay?" the blonde girl asked.

Monique continued to shake her head. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry- I didn't know."

They helped her up and over to the bed. This is beyond anything I could have imagined. How... When could he have... Oh my... I helped them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Late again! Dx
This one was entirely typed up on my phone so I apologize for any spelling errors and the like. I uploaded it as soon as I finished but once I have a moment, I'll comb back through this and fix any errors. Promise.
Thank you for reading!

P.S. Also, not that I like doing this, but I do have another account for original fiction. There's only one story up at the moment (13 chapters deep and plenty more stockpiled!) but more are coming, so check that out. Give it a vote or leave me a comment about how terrible it is if you want or just share it if you think someone else might like it. Thanks a bunch!