Chapter - 10

Monique called Terrence from the car and invited him over for a few hours. If he would actually want to stay a few hours is another thing all together. Monique paced in the living room, trying desperately to calm her nerves. Barry tried to talk her into sitting down but she just ignored him. How could she relax when the one thing she had been dreading was about to happen. He wasn't a bad guy, but he had become a little aggressive when talking about Barry.

When the knock came to the door she froze. Barry had to push her to the door. He stepped back as she opened the door and hugged Terrence rather rigidly. He kissed her then looked up. She hated the way his body tensed when he saw Barry. "And this is..."

"This is Barry," Monique said as she stepped back to let him inside. "The friend I've been telling you about. Barry this is Terrence, my boyfriend."

Terrence offered his hand and Barry shook it firmly. "I'm glad to finally meet you," Terrence said, not a single hint of a smile on his voice.

Monique stood with her back to the door after closing it. "Barry thought to take this opportunity to go ahead and meet you since both of you were free tonight."

They moved to the couch and Monique sat in her recliner. She couldn't bring herslef to sit with either one or between them. Terrence seemed to ease up a little as he got to really look at him. "So, you're the one Mo's been telling me about. I wasn't sure what to make of you from what she told me, but I'm glad I was wrong about some things."

Barry smiled at that. "Well, I hope I haven't disappointed, at least."

"Oh, no, no don't worry about it. She did tell me you missed the dinner because of medical reasons. Are you, uh, in good health now?"

"I'm completely fine," Barry said with a shrug. "I think it was nerves. I was sick to my stomach but the next morning I was better than good. I do feel bad about that though."

Terrence held up his hands. "As long as you're fine now, that's all that matters. So, where did you meet Mo'?"

"I happened to catch her in a nasty fall while I was leaving a friend's spot and..." He put up his hands and shrugged, "the rest is history."

Terrence seemed to think for a moment. He didn't look upset but Monique didn't like it. "Now, I have to be honest- that's just the way I am, I don't mean any offence by it- but that woman over there is the most important person to me as of this moment and every day I wake up. She's the most gentle and well meaning person I've met in a long time. If anything happens to her while she is with you I won't hesitate to look into that myself. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Terrence," Monique sat upright in her chair. "Calm down, please."

"I am calm," he replied without looking at her.

Barry nodded. "Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't let anything happen to her. She reached out to me when I really needed it so she's someone I want to keep safe too." His brow furrowed and he sounded a little uneasy but he was doing his best to keep himself steady. "If she's with me she's safe."

Terrence watched Barry's face as he spoke. He wasn't exactly the deepest, most contemplative man Monique knew, but he was looking at Barry like he was looking for some sort of flaw. Like he was trying to catch him in a lie. He certainly didn't beat around the bush at all. Monique hugged herself as she watched them interact. Terrence asked him a few more questions and Barry complied, slowly unfurling his body as the night went on.

What Monique had been afraid of was Terrence getting defensive and putting too much stress on Barry. She wasn't sure if he would remain in control or if he would pass the light to another alter to handle the situation. She had read that you can't really tell when the alter switched. It was subtle. She watched Barry so closely as they went on it might have been creepy if he had been looking at her, but they were too busy sizing each other up.