June

June: It's Sunday

I woke up with my head throbbing and voices outside. It took me a few minutes to realize what happened. I almost had been raped. I got up and the cold night air made me retreat, and while I was finding a blanket, I see mom and Lady at the door. I grab a random blanket and walk to the door. I hear my dad. I rush to the doorway, pushing mom and Lady to find dad about to punch Elvis, his hands around his collar. " Stop!" I scream desperately. My dad dropped his hands to look at me. I couldn't find my voice. Instead I just started walking, slowly towards Elvis. He was my savior. He was literally my knight in shining armor, rescuing me from the bad guy. He stood there, his face bruised from the fighting between him and my perpetrator and him and my dad. I felt so bad. Before I knew it, my weak arms had somehow found their way around his waist. He stood like a statue but was quite the opposite. He was warm and he smelled wonderful, like a garden filled with flowers. I whispered as tenderly as I could, making sure he was the only one to hear. " Thank you."

I walked away before he could see the tears that I had already shed, I don't think I would be able to stand seeing him sneer at me. I heard his footsteps running away, towards the stairwell. I grabbed my dad's hand and walked into the house, closing the door behind me. Dad sat on the couch and pinched the bridge between his nose. He looked tired and as if he had aged overnight. " Jim, you should probably walk Lady home." My mother stated. Lady began " No that's okay Mr.-" " No she's right. It's alright. I'll walk you home." My father sighed. Tired and scared Lady just nodded her head.

Later that night, I had let mom tuck me in and she sat at the foot of my bed, waiting for me to sleep. " He saved me. Elvis saved me. I'm so thankful." I said. Mom just nodded her head. Tears spilled as I continued to vent. " I was so scared in that alley mom. Darkness was the only thing I saw. I felt it closing in. I felt the darkness-" " stop sweetie." Mom whispered. Ignoring I continued. " I felt the darkness try to swallow me. He was so remorseless, he didn't care-" " stop." Order clear in her voice. " No!" I screamed. We stopped and stared at each other, me angry, mom pitiful. Dad entered, his hair ruffled and drool on the side of his mouth. " what's going on?" He demanded. I turned my head and looked away from them. Mom didn't say anything but gestured him to leave. Reluctantly he closed the door. Mom got up from the bed of the bed and turned my head so that I was looking at her. She wiped my tears. " I don't want your pity." I sniffled. Mom just kissed my forehead and rocked me to sleep. Exhausted and tired I let her hold me and felt calmness rush over me and I fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning with a horrible headache. Mom and Dad were in the kitchen. The silence was awkward. We continued to eat in silence until it was time for them to leave for work. " I don't know if I should leave her alone by herself." I heard mom tell dad. " I'm fine." I said aloud. They both looked at me with blank expressions and I forced a smile, " Really guys, I am fine." I walked towards them and kissed dad's cheek and he kissed my forehead. I hugged mom. " Have fun. I know you guys know how to have fun." Mom smiled and dad laughed silently. They both walked out and I waved as they got in the car.

I planned to laze around the house today and sleep. I finished making myself lunch when I heard the doorbell. I opened it to find Elvis standing there, a purple bump on his cheek, forehead and a cut on his lip. " Um, hey. What- what are you doing... Here?" I asked. He looked me over and I saw something tinkle in his cold blue eyes. He cleared his throat. " We were supposed to talk about the project. It's Sunday." Sunday? I thought back to that night when I fixed Elvis' face. I laughed and opened the door all the way. With his hands in his pockets, his eyebrows rose and he stepped inside without saying anything. I walked towards the kitchen and he followed closely. I had stepped on the carpet when I nearly slipped and Elvis caught me. I stared at him wide eyed and he just looked at me with a angry expression. He set me on my feet and barked " Why are you so clumsy?" I stood stunned. And he breathed in and mumbled an apology. What the frick. " Do you want something to drink?" He shrugged and walked towards the couch. He sat with a plop. I poured us some grape juice and walked into the living room with the tray on my hand.

I gave him his juice and he mumbled a thank you. " no problem." I said. Then I sat beside him and drank my juice. It then turned silent and he made no attempts to engage in any sort of conversations. " do you want to watch T.V?" I pointed at the small box in the middle of the room. Again he shrugged. I sighed, nearly irritated at his shrugging. I turned it on and left the volume low. The Ed Sullivan Show was on. He seemed merely intrigued. " So did you read Romeo and Juliet?" I asked, honestly curious. He nodded but said nothing. " Do you have a favorite part?" Eyes on the television, he shook his head. His hair was losing its perfect condition, starting to fall at the top. Fine. If he wasn't going to say anything, neither was I. I sat with my arms crossed and he either didn't care, or didn't care. All the while, his eyes were on the screen. After 5 minutes of silence besides the T.V, I got impatient and turned to him. " Hey, are we gonna talk or not?" I inquired. Again he shrugged. I'm gonna punch his stupid face if he shrugs again I swear. " Okay, well what part do you want to do?" He shrugged. Sonofamothersuckinggun. Holding in the urge to scratch his eyes out, I asked very slowly, " Will you at least throw some suggestions? Say something!" I yelled the last part out.

He smirked, a really mean looking smirk and he took my hand in his. His hands were cold, and mine were hotter than usual. His eyes pierced mine and he got up close to me. Nervous I scooted away but he came closer. He leaned close to me and he said "' Eyes, look you last.'" And he stared into my eyes. "' Arms, take your last embrace.'" And he hugged me, squeezing me. "' And lips...'" He looked at my lips. "' O you, the doors to breath, may seal with a righteous kiss.'" And he leaned in real close and I was paralyzed, my brain unable to comprehend what he was doing. He stopped about an inch from my face and I could feel his hot breathe on my lips. I shut my eyes tight and sucked in a breathe. Then I felt him sigh and he leaned back on the couch. I opened one eye to find him looking back at the screen. " What just happened?" I asked. " I was just showing you a part of the story that I found interesting." He rolled his eyes. I frowned trying to remember a part like that. He noticed my frustration and rolled his eyes again. " When Romeo finds Juliet dead and he says farewell to her." And then it hit me. I hit my forehead and Elvis' lips turned a little on the side. Then I realize something. Never had I seen Elvis smile. I'd Never seen him even show a little happiness. I stared at his handsome features, sad that such a boy would be so angry at the world.

He notices me staring and barks " what?" And I blurted out " Your hair is pretty." What the hell June. He raises an eyebrow and scoffs. I sat back on the couch and sighed. Talking to him wasted too much of my energy. And then I thought about how he had been close to me. I wondered why I froze when he was so close to me. His lips were so pink and they looked so soft. I thought for so long when I looked up it was late, and Elvis was staring at me. I rose an eyebrow and he asked " what were you thinking about?". Astonished because this was the longest sentence he said today, I lied "about the project." He looked into my eyes and said " You're lying." He said. He wasn't trying to point it out or anything, he just commented. " Let's just talk about the project or we'll be here all day." I said.

That night, when we were done talking about the project, which was me doing most of the talking and him shrugging, nodding, and shaking his head. I walked him to the door and opened it for him. Almost as if he was reluctant to leave he walked out slowly, and he turned back to look at me. For a moment he looked lost and he wanted to tell me something but he looked down at the ground. " I'll see you tomorrow." I said slowly. He looked up into my eyes, put his hands in his pockets and shrugs. He then turned on his heels and walked back to his house. I sighed watching him, realizing I almost didn't want him to leave. Like I enjoyed his company. I slapped myself and closed the door. Thinking I was thirsty, I drank water, dehydration can make a person think strangly. However, it just made me more aware of what happened. Elvis Presley almost kissed me. I stood staring at my cup of water realization hitting me so suddenly, like the feeling of a bee sting. I lost feeling in my legs when I realized that I had actually wanted him to kiss me. I wanted Elvis Presley to kiss me, softly, but passionately. What the flying fuck June.