June

The days grew longer unless I was with Aaron. We spent minutes, hours, and days in my house, becoming closer than I expected so. Meanwhile, Elvis was touring everywhere. I tried to ignore the headlines, but its hard when they're in every store you seem to enter. He would be on the front page, girls all over him. It burned and knocked the breath out of me, especially since I notice how comfortable he begins to look with them.

I officially retired from my own room and sleep in the living room. My parents are tired of answering calls never meant for themselves. Not that Elvis called anyways. It used to be once every few days. Then weeks, and now months. He calls in the middle of the night and when I hear is voice, Relief washes over me, and in the dark, he is beside me.

After a well spent day with Aaron, I throw on my pajamas and drag my blanket to the couch. I don't know if my back is still straight, although I'd like to imagine it is. I jump on the couch on my back, and sink into the seat wiggling my toes. After going over what happened today in my mind, smiling silently to myself, I unwillingly and unknowingly drifted to sleep.

The sudden loudness ripped me out of whatever dream I was having. The phone screamed in my ear and with my heart in my throat I answered it softly. " Hello?" " What's up baby?" The most wonderful voice in the world spoke.

All the anger, all the pain, all the regret flushed out in a very large sigh. " Elvis." I whispered nearly in tears. He chuckled lightly. " June baby, you okay?" I laughed in response. " I just seemed to have forgotten how handsome you sound." I imagined him smiling. " Good news baby, I'm coming home in two months!" He yelled. Excitement overcame me. " Oh my god! What? How? Why? What?" I yelled back. My dad cleared his throat from the room. " Well, we just about toured the whole damn south, I think its bout time I come home. To you." My vision blurred. " I'm so glad to hear that." I said between breaths. He went silent. Briefly, female voices were all I heard and then shuffling. " Elvis?" He took a deep breath into the reciever. " What was that?" " Oh just Scotty and Bills chicks. Y'know." He sighed nervously. I nodded. " I got to go baby, and June?" He spoke my name softly. I swallowed. " I love you." Then a dial tone. I slowly put the phone back and immediately, everything that disappeared, came rushing back. I missed him so much.       

I woke up later than usual, and felt extra shitty. I didnt bother getting up and was going to spend the rest of the day in. I turned on the tv and pulled the blanket up to my nose. My parents had already left so I could laze about. A couple of hours went by and I was frozen in the same position, my back absolutely tangled. At first, I thought the knock came from the tv, until it became the familiar annoying knocking I became used to. Aaron must've came by and honestly, I was not in the mood for him. He continued to knock, oblivious to the fact that " NO ONE IS HOME." Shit. He opened the door and stood in the doorway, smiling a bright smile, the sun glinting in his hair, and crossed his hands. " You look like shit."

" Glad you could tell." I responded, so hoarse. He closed the door and kicked off his shoes, striding to the floor beside me. He clearly did not know he isnt needed. And he clearly did not know that Elvis would be here in 2 months and would not like it that I've been spending most of my time with Aaron of all people. And this made me feel shittier than I already felt! 

Instead he took the remote and before he changed it I told him in a low voice " don't change the channel." He smiled and changed it anyways. Usually, I wouldn't care but in this case, I was especially agitated. " God damn it Aaron, I told you not to change the goddamned channel, I don't know the hell you think you are, barging in my house and doing whatever the hell you want. The hell is the matter with you?" Aaron sank back in confusion and hurt. It was silent for moments and I immediately felt a pang of regret. He swallowed once. And then again. I sighed. I don't know hated hurting Aaron. " I'm sorry... about that." I mumbled. " I feel like shit." He relaxed but still sat away from me. " Want to talk about it?" He spoke. My eyes averted to his and his lips were curled into a frown. He already knew. He took the opportunity of the moment to look at me carefully. " He's coming back." "When?" "Soon." "How soon?" "Soon enough." "How soon is soon enough?" " Soon enough." He exhaled sharply. And for the first time, he looked at me with anger written on his forehead. " Damn it. Damn it!" He punched the ground. " So when he comes back, and you dont need me, you want me to go away?" Neither of us spoke until he got up and made for the door. I had no energy to stop him, and him leaving is probably good for everyone. Him mostly, since Elvis has a bad temper, and I'm only helping him.