Elvis

Elvis: Confrontation

" Where's your manners boy?" Mama whispered harshly in my ear. " Greet the girl." I swallowed and took June's hand in mine. I brought it to my lips and brushed it across her warm skin lightly. " Hello, I'm Elvis Presley." June recovered from her shock quicker than I expected and said " Hello. I'm June." Mama then took both of us and sat us down. I hadn't had the opportunity to look at the table she was preparing, but before me were food that would tame the hunger of 10 elephants. There was everything from fried chicken to lasagna. I put a napkin on my lap, cleared my throat, and sat quietly listening to Mama and Junes' conversation.

" What do you think about the food June? Do you like it?" Mama worried. I stole a glance at Junes' face and she smiled a genuine smile saying " I love it! It's unhealthy, just like me." She and Mama giggled and she continued " Don't tell my parents but it's better than anything at home!" She laughed. I nearly smiled but I caught myself. I guess tonight, it'll be harder than I expected. Frequently, I had caught June watching me as I with her. I don't know if she was doing it on purpose but we would brush fingers, while getting the same dish. Finally I just sighed and dropped my napkin onto my plate. Mama and June passed the minutes with useless conversation while I sat quietly, constantly fighting the urge to speak. Many times had I wanted to speak, smile and laugh but all the while my face was blank.

Later on, Mama and June went on in to the kitchen while I stood idle behind. Mama wanted June to stay at the table but the stubborn mule refused and Mama had no choice but to let her clean up. " Baby, what about that pretty little dress you got on?" Mama worried. " Mama, the dress is a dress, I'll go home and wash it. I'm not gonna let you do all the work yourself." June said with her head held high. Mama looked at June blankly and then started to laugh. June stood confused, wondering what happened. " You are one stubborn piece of rock." She laughed. Then she waved June in the kitchen " Come on in then." And June wasted no time, dancing to Mama's side.

Mama sent June out and just as June reasoned with Mama, Mama reasoned with June. They debated again, and this time, June lost and Mama told her to come sit in the living room with me. She walked towards me, trying to get my attention while I sat playing with my fingers. " Hey Elvis." She whispered. I froze as my heart skipped a beat. I hadn't expected her to call my name as easily as she did. I faked a frown and kept my eyes on my fingers. " Elvis!" She whispered more loudly. Again I ignored her. She sighed and sank back into the chair and I was able to breathe again. Out of nowhere, a book hit my chest. I looked at June in disbelief and she sat there with her arms crossed. " I want to talk to you." She whispered. Me still registering the fact that she threw the book at me just looked at her. " Is that a yes?" She pressed. I clenched my Jaw and narrowed my eyes. " No." I growled at her. She rolled her eyes. " That stupid shit doesn't work anymore." She said making me stifle a laugh.

I grabbed her hand and led her to my room while Mama stayed in the kitchen, humming a gospel tune. I shoved her onto my bed and without planning it, I tripped and landed on her. I had imagined this countless times, wondered countless times, thought about it countless times and here she was, her fragile body under me. Desire burned throughout my body as she stared right back into my eyes, igniting the yearning I felt for her. I looked at her plump lips, wishing desperately to connect mine onto them. My hands, which held down her wrists wanted to travel down her dress and venture into the unknown which I had so nearly did if not for my exceptional self control. I let us stay that way for a long time, while she had done nothing while staring back at me, challenging me. I grunted in frustration, wishing again that I could mold our lips together.

" Do it." She finally said. I frowned at her. " Elvis, it's clear what we are. I know you overheard our conversation," she spoke lowly " but that was so they couldn't find out about us." She said. I sat up and sighed. She got up too and fixed her hair. I sat with my hands in my lap looking at my hands. " It doesn't matter anymore, whatever we were, I'm sure I cleared that up." June crossed her arms again and this time she had a speech prepared. " Elvis, for a long time you were a mystery to me. I was confused because you were a jerk on the outside, but I know you're a good person. I've seen you with your mother, I've seen the way you love and I've seen how great a human you can be. Constantly, I slept late trying to figure you out, the Presley boy who's tough but genuine? The Presley boy who pretends to be tough but is a lover? You are so much more than you let on." I let her finished before I spoke again. " June, It'll never work. I'm just a poor boy, living in the dumps of the south, which is already a dump." I stopped to stare right at her. " I will never amount to anything you want. Trust me, I will never give you happiness, I can never give you what you want." I stopped to put a hand on her face. She closed her eyes and turned her face so she could feel my hand. I sighed and put it back down. " I don't want to burden you, all because I have nothing." I ended.

She listened and finally she whispered " What if all I want is you?" I stared into her eyes to see a tear and my heart broke into a million and one pieces. Never had I ever wanted to see June cry again. I quickly wiped her eyes and swallowed down my tears. " I don't think so June." I softly spoke. We sat quietly while June sniffed here and then. I heard the water shut off and I knew Mama would suspect soon that we had disappeared. " We need to go." I got up and grabbed her arm and lifted her up. " I'm sorry June." I spoke softly into her ear. I wiped her eyes. " Please, we can't let mama know you been crying." I pleaded. " Please." I said. She looked at me, with sad eyes and she wiped her eyes, nodded and smiled. She was such a strong woman and I was so sorry I couldn't wrap my arms around her." She opened the door first and walked out, while I stayed back to catch my breathe. Without knowing it, my tears started falling too. I wiped my eyes about ten times, trying to stop and suppress a sob but I couldn't. I looked at myself in the mirror and collected myself. I'm doing this to protect her, I told myself. If you really love her, let her go on to a better life. I swallowed my tears and walked out.

June and Mama were sitting by the door, talking small talk. Mama saw me and said " Baby where you been?" I cleared my throat and said " I was in my room. Doing something." She gave me another poker face and I sat across the room from them. They talked and talked, until my mother said it was time for June to go. I got up a little too quickly and started both my mother and June. I nearly punched myself because I had just forgotten what had happened and wanted to walk June home but said " I'm going to my room." A little harsher than it needed to be. Mama frowned and said " Baby, you gotta take the little girl home." I clenched my Jaw again and this time June said " I am a little scared." Mama nodded her head and said " Boy, that isn't how I raised you, you're gonna get outta this house and you're gonna walk that girl home and you're gonna make sure she gets home with every single hair in place. Do you understand?" " Yes Mama." I said through my teeth. I stood outside while June and Mama said their goodbyes.

We walked down and every now and then our hands would touch, sending an electrical surge right into my heart. " What was that about?" I harshly whispered. " You know what I intended to do." I grabbed her arms and stopped her and said " June. No." She narrowed her eyes and I cut her off as I shook her and said " No!". She then pushed me off her and I walked behind her, frustrated that she wouldn't listen.

As we got across the lot, Aaron ran across to her and spoke, as if I wasn't there. " June, I was waiting for you for such a long time!" He nearly yelled. He looked at me and said a quick hi and returned his gaze back to June. I grunted a goodbye and suppressed a moan, listening to my woman conversing with another man. " Thanks Aaron but-" I heard no more as I moved swiftly across the lot back home. When I got home Mama sat on the couch knitting something. I stood there, catching my breathe but she made no attempt to question me. " I'm going to my room." " Wait son." " Mama-" " Listen to me son, do you know June?" Still catching my breathe I said " No." As I stared into her eyes. She stared at me long and hard and finally said " Alright. That's alright baby." I nodded and ran to my room to throw off every article of clothing I had on except my briefs. I jumped onto my bed and yelled into my pillow punching it, and soaking my tears and spit in it. I cried so long, I didn't notice I fell asleep the same way, drowning in the tears in my pillow.