June

June: Mama

The morning after that, I woke up with my hair in a mess and a huge migraine. The night before was too overwhelming. I wasn't going to pretend like I didn't know who Elvis was talking about. I should have known it all along. I should have seen it in the way he looks at me. It's sometimes the same way I see dad looking at mom. And my parents are crazy for each other. I sigh and groan as I stomp my way to the bathroom.

I looked for Elvis the next few days and I didn't see him. He was always absent and I never got to talk to him. I grew worried, and I felt like I should go looking for him. But I knew he wouldn't be happy if I did that. I was scared of his rejection. I mean, I wasn't gonna ask him on a date or anything, I just didn't want him to slam his door in my face.

After a week of worrying, I went to the local supermarket to get some things for my parents. My parents noticed that I had been distracted for a while and wanted me out of the house. So I picked up some things and like an idiot, I didn't get a cart so I just held them in my head making a mental note to get a card later. I was walking into the next isle when I bumped into a cart. I dropped everything and I groaned, grabbing my hip in pain. " Oh my! Oh baby are you alright?" A woman with a familiar voice said. I felt delicate hands on my shoulder, and over my own hand. " Oh goodness, if Vern was here... Honey, are you alright?" I looked up to see a woman whose face was plastered with genuine worry. Her dark hair and face looked so familiar but I couldn't put a finger on it. I shut my eyes and sighed. " Yes, it's okay." I said. I then bent to pick up all my things and the woman bent down too. I looked at her and her eyebrows were furrowed in a that I had only seen one person do my whole life. " Let me help you with that dear." She sighed. "Oh no. It's alright I got it." And she laughed a gentle laugh. " Don't you fret none dear, just accept the help." I smiled at her kind message and sighed a weak thank you as she put everything in my arms. She nodded and walked away with her cart.

She was a rather plump lady and watching her walk away reminded me of someone but again, I couldn't figure out who. Finally, afraid I was going to bump into someone else I walked to find my own cart and walked to the smallest line and was joined again with the woman. She smiled and again asked " Are you alright?" And I smiled and replied " It's a little better now, it's not even there." And she chuckled lightly and said " Your the prettiest thing I seen today, and kind too." I looked down to my overalls I threw on while my hair was in a ponytail. I thought I looked like a walking mess". "Why thank you so much ma'am". I politely replied.

I was walking out with my bags when I see the poor lady walking my herself with all her bags. Just the thought of her carrying all those heavy bags herself all the way home got me running towards her. " Let me help you with that ma'am". And I took some out of her hands. " It's quite alright sweetie I can do it myself". Surprise clear in her voice. I winked and replied " Don't you fret none ma'am, just accept the ma'am". And her face filled with humor as she remembered our first meeting not too long ago.

We talked all the way home and it turned out she lived in Lauderdale courts too! Wow, does everyone live there? She lived on the top floor and I wondered where Elvis lived. "Here we are". She said as we arrived in her house. I set her groceries on the table and she turned on the lights to reveal the most cozy house I've seen. It was pink and white all over with the 2 couches in the middle. There was no T.V. " I'm just gonna leave now ma'am". I announced. She practically ran over to me and said " But you just got here, please, at least stay for dinner." She asked. I made a reluctant face and said " That's okay ma'am my parents are expecting me for dinner". I lifted my grocery bag. Her face fell and she said " Oh alright, but you know where I live". She pointed. "And one more thing". She stopped me. I said " What is it ma'am?" And she held out her hand. " My name is Gladys and you can jus call me Mama." I nodded and smiled and as I took her hand I replied " Nice to meet you Mama, my name is June".