Elvis

Elvis: Confused or Falling?

I knocked on her door, ready to spend the rest of the day with her. She opened door and stood there with a confused expression. She was pale, her lips were chapped, and her eyes were moist. She asked why I was here. Bored, and impatient I told her today was the day we were gonna meet. She stood for a moment or two then her eyes dimly lit, as if she remembered something, and she let me in. I followed her. A foot in the kitchen and she slips on the rug. Quickly I grabbed her waist and caught her. She was so damn clumsy, she could've hit her head. " Why are you so damn clumsy?" I barked. I inhaled and tried not to let it get to me. But the thought of her getting hurt, hurt. I apologized. I walked to the couch and sighed as I sank into it. I gazed at the reflection of the t.v. Hmm. My hair was up just the way I wanted and I looked pretty good from this angle.

Later we watched T.V as we talked about the project. Or she talked about the project. " So did you read Romeo and Juliet?" She asked. I nodded. " Did you have a favorite part?" She pressed. I shook my head, Ed was going on about a new band that was going to tour from Virginia all the way to Los Angeles. He was about to announce a new R&B record that was getting hot around Tennessee when I heard " Hey, are we gonna talk or not?" She questioned, obviously frustrated at me for not paying attention. I shrugged and peeked at her. She had her hand in her face blocking out her eyes and her lips were pursed. I never knew how cute she looked frustrated. I should do this more often. She looked back at me when I quickly averted my eyes to the T.V set. I tried to make it look as if I was not the least bit interested in this conversation. " Well, what part do you want to do?" Honestly clueless, I shrugged and it really seemed to tick her off. " Will you throw some suggestions? Say something!" She huffed the last sentence out.

Since she asked, I thought I'd give her a little show and I couldn't hide it as I pressed close to her. She backed away but I pressed on. " Eyes, look your last." I said in my most menacing voice, though when I stared into her eyes, my heart seemed to melt in its place.

" Arms, take your last embrace." Without warning her, I crushed her against me, taking advantage of the confusions she felt. " And lips..." My eyes broke away from hers and trailed down her nose, down to her lips. I looked at them, her bottom lip was a little fuller then the top. " O you, the doors to breathe, may seal with a righteous kiss." And I leaned close to her, certain that she could feel me against her. She closed her eyes and shut her mouth. I stared at them for a few more moments, yearning to just let my lips meet hers. How I wish I could run my fingers through her hair. Sighing, I leaned back against the couch and let Ed take over. " What just happened?" She asked, her voice hoarse. Playing it cool, I rolled my eyes " I was just showing you a part of the story I found interesting." I looked at her only to see her with one eye open and face clearly confused. Stopping myself from the urge to smile I said " When Romeo finds Juliet dead and he says farewell to her." And rolled my eyes again. She then understood and slapped her palm on her forehead. I stared, happy because she hadn't given a thought to what had happened last night. Like it never even happened. I found the edge of my mouth turned up slightly and I turned back to the television, hoping she hadn't seen.

After all was said and done, she walked me to the door and I stepped out and turned back to look at her. I really wanted to tell her that she had to be mine. That she had to belong to me. But the thought of taking care of her, mama, and daddy when I'm just one person stung me back to reality. Trying to hide the anguish that I'm sure was clear in my face I looked down. " I'll see you tomorrow." Her voice brought me back to reality and I stared into her eyes and put my hands in my pocket and shrugged. Keeping with my image, I said nothing and walked towards the stairwell leading to my house. I then crept to where it was dark and watched as she stood looking at the stairwell, looking for me. Her eyes met mine for a moment, though I doubt she saw me. She sighed and turned back into her house, her door shutting with a loud click. Disappointed, I got up and made my way back down and walked towards the park.

June was so different from the girls around here. And it's not because she's from somewhere else. It's because it's like she makes an effort to know who I am. She's beautiful and has a sort of grace. She's graceful. Had I kissed her, would she have thrown me out? I'm sure she would, dirty Elvis, poor and stupid kissing her, if I was her, I woulda thrown me right out. Hell, everything about her makes me wanna see her. I want to look at her. I don't think I'd ever get tired of seeing her face.

I paced back and forward, just thinking, and soon the lights went out. Then I just walked home cuz I knew mama was waiting for me at the door. The door was locked but the lights in the kitchen were on. I knocked lightly. Mama opened it with her blanket around her. With circles under her eyes she just stood at the doorway watching me. I kissed the top of her head and held her hand. Then I made my way to my room. I undressed and put on my pajamas and blacked out. Today was a very exhausting day.