Elvis

Elvis: I'll tell

I woke up the next day late in the afternoon. I got up and went to find mama. The living room was so bright I had to blink before my eyes got used to it. I yawned and stretched when mama's voice came from behind me " good afternoon, sleepy." I turned to find her standing in the kitchen with her hands on her hips and a spatula in the left. She had a plate of pancakes set out and was on her last one. I smiled and walked towards her and kissed her cheek. " mmm mama why didn't you wake me up?" I croaked. She flipped the pancake and said " your daddy and I figured you needed a long rest. You seem so busy these days I ain't seen you in a long time." I wrapped my hands around her waist and buried my head between in her neck. " oh mama, how am I ever gonna graduate if you and daddy keep me from going to school?" She chuckled lightly and said " oh my baby is so smart, he ain't gotta go to school. Of course that don't mean I'm giving you permission not to. Just saying it's okay to miss a few days." I unwrapped myself from her and took a pancake. I bit it and my eyes shot open. " mmmmm mama! Theses are delicious! What you put in here?" Her laughter filled the room and she winked " I added banana and a secret ingredient that my mama taught me long ago." I moaned and sighed. " young man, go on and brush your teeth, your breath smell like a can of spoiled milk" mama exclaimed. I smiled at her showing her my teeth and all the food in between it.

She was bout to hit me with her spatula when I ran into the hall laughing. " Elvis Aron Presley you better act right or the first girl you bring here will know all about your nasty habits!" Mama yelled from the kitchen. I laughed again and went into the bathroom. I took care of my hygiene and walked across the hall in my boxers to my room and heard my daddy talking in the kitchen. " oh sweetie you look so beautiful, I want to take you on a trip and make love to you under the stars and-" " Daddy, please! Wait till I leave and then you can talk like that to my mama!" And I closed the door. I heard daddy laughing and mama was probably embarrassed cause I could hear her slapping him from my room. I shook my head and got dressed. Since the weather looked great I was gonna go to the park and soak up the sun. I walked out my room and kissed mama's cheek and looked at daddy. He was sitting in the love chair and was looking smug. I walked over and put him in a chokehold when he elbowed my goods and flipped me over the couch. I was coughing so loud holding my crotch when mama run in looking all worried. " what the hell is going on?" Daddy fixed his hair and winked at me and said " he just slipped on your rug." Mama puffed and walked into back mumbling under her breathe. Daddy then stretched his arms and commented " yep. Still got it." I got off the floor and limped toward the door, trying to fix my undergarments so that my little friend was comfortable. " Damn it daddy, I'm gonna beat you like your daddy did someday." And I closed the door as he chuckled.

I took a deep breathe and stood there taking in the view while recovering from that nasty blow. Then I walked downstairs and made my way across the streets. I sat on a vacant bench and looked around. I sighed and got up. There was nobody in sight, everybody at school and work. I decided to go to a burger joint and order myself a milkshake. I did have about 5 cents in my pockets. Ms. Maybelle was there and she took my order. " Elvis, I better see you in church this Sunday." I said nothing and I went outside and walked up the street to my favorite store, Lanskys. I stood outside and looked at the clothes. These are all me right here. They defined me. Different and disturbing to the public eyes. There was an outfit in there with a red shirt with pink trims and black slacks. No doubt it was expensive. Curiosity got the better of me and I went in anyways. I walked around browsing until I drank all my milkshake. Then I walked back to the park and sat on a bench. I got comfortable opening my legs, putting my arms on the seat and closed my eyes letting it fall back.

After about 15 minutes, when I heard a beautiful voice I'd recognize anywhere. " hey Elvis" June said. I opened one eye cocked my head and looked at her. She smiled at me and she was sweating. The man in me couldn't resist offering her help.

Later we were at her house and we entered her room. It was perfect for a girl and she had a record player on her table counter. " you got any music to play on this thing?" I asked. She walked towards me exclaiming " sure as hell I do!". She opened her drawer and told me to pick a song. I looked through and picked the song that most captured my attention. " Is it so strange, I have no eyes for any other girl." The song played. Wanting to take advantage of our moment alone, I walked toward her and took her wrist slowly and asked if she wanted to dance. I didn't wait for an answer as I twirled her around. She gasped and said " I don't know how to dance." I held her steady and softly said " I don't either."

She then got comfortable because she rested her head on my chest. I was scared she would hear my heart beating quickly. I buried my head on her shoulder. We danced and danced and danced. We danced although the music stopped playing. It was in this moment I realized that June had feeling for me too. I broke away from the dance. Hurt and confusion was in her warm eyes and I said " I should go." I slowly broke away from her but she held on to my hand. " just stay for a little while." She desperately pleaded. I wanted to so much, I wish I could June but I have to leave now. I needed to figure out what I needed to do. I shook my head and I walked out but as soon as I got to the door, I stopped and looked back at her. My insides were telling me to stay with her but I wouldn't let myself be betrayed. I put my hands in my pockets and walked out, back to the park.

It was dark now. I sat and cried like a little girl. I wanted her so much but if I really cared about her, no way would I court her. I wouldn't be able to take care of her, no matter how hard I tried. I can't. In hysterics, I wailed. She wants me too. If she confronts me, then what? I'm going to have to make her hate me. But I want to see her.

As much as I knew how wrong it was, I gave in to my heart. I'll ask her out tomorrow. I gave in to my selfishness and I made plans to see her. I wiped my eyes and went home. That night, I smiled into the darkness. If she says no then I'll stay as her friend. If she says yes, then my selfishness will prove my unworthiness. She doesn't deserve a boy like me but I'll do my best to make her as happy as she'll let me.