ZERO

ZERO: THE PROLOGUE

     THE NEWEST MERMAID of Mako Island had arrived in Australia a few hours ago and she could not believe how beautiful the ocean was

THE NEWEST MERMAID of Mako Island had arrived in Australia a few hours ago and she could not believe how beautiful the ocean was. It didn't take her long to locate the said island, she would say that she felt in her bones that that is where she was destined to be. And she would be correct.

But before her journey could end in Mako Island, the mermaid took her time to explore the area. From the new species of fish to the exotic coral that was only found in Australia waters. The dolphins had sensed her presence and scurried off to swim with her. The newcomer loved all the sea creatures she encountered, even the sharks that seemed too stubborn to let her pass through towards the island.

By the time she had dodged the sharks and made her way towards the moon pool she had found, the sun had gone down. She examined the tiny vacant volcano and wondered where all the mermaids were. She thought she heard stories of the most powerful mermaids that resided in Mako Island, but it seemed to be deserted now. Maybe it was a myth; or perhaps they weren't as powerful as they were spoken about and the merman had destroyed the pod.

She wished there was someone else, another mermaid, possibly. She was tired of being alone. But it was safer, she thought, the mermaid-secret can't be exposed if there aren't any mermaids swimming around the land-people.

Waiting for the feeling of the full moon's power to cascade on to her, the brown-haired mermaid floated in the middle of the moon pool with her eyes closed. Every pod she had been to she was told to always lay beneath the moon and accept the powers it had bestowed upon her. Hearing it over a thousand times she stopped questioning it since no one would give her any concrete answers. She had grown to believe that if she didn't do this every month that something dangerous would happen, like the moon would become angry with her and get rid of her tail forever.

She would have no clue how to live without her tail. She would become a person of the land, an ordinary girl, no powers, nothing special about her. Those thoughts always made her fear the moon's powers. But they weren't always so dreadful, the moon's power had gifted her with her with her own moon ring. She had earned this ring a few years ago, and it had magic that she could not believe a mermaid would be allowed to possess. In the wrong hands, it could cause total destruction.

Her thoughts vanished as soon as she heard voices becoming louder and louder. She clenched her hand that had the moon ring in a fist which caused her to become invisible. She moved from her position and submerged her tail into the water. If the three land-girls could see they would only identify the girl's head.that was still above water.

"What was that?" A brunette said in a strong Australian accent. She looked at the water with wide eyes, not wanting to do anything with it.

"It's probably the tides of the water moving back and forth, Cleo, nothing to worry about." The girl with the straight blonde hair calmed the girl—whose name was apparently Cleo.

"Wow." Said another blonde from behind the other two girls. Unlike the two in front of her, she was in pure awe. She glanced up towards the gaping hole in the island which showcased the night sky with the bright stars. "This is like the cone of a volcano."

"It's not going to erupt, is it, Emma?" Cleo asked the blonde Emma in front of her unwarily, clearly terrified of the situation she was put in.

"It's been dormant for 20,000 years," Emma reassured the girl that her arms tucked under her pits. "I think we're safe."

Emma walked around to the other side of the pool to get a better view, but little did she know, she was nose to nose with a mythical creature she had only heard stories about.

"Tidal rings." Emma pointed out as she took off her shoes.

"And. . . what does that mean?" The blonde with the two braids asked the other.

"Well, Rikki, that means it is connected to the ocean." Remembering what she had told Cleo when they first walked in. "There might be a way out."

She stood up from where she was squatting and took a step in the pool before taking one last glance at her friends and leaping into the water.

After five minutes, Cleo worriedly called out to her friend that was still not back yet. She and her other blonde haired friend were seated on the edge of the moon pool waiting for the third girl to come back. Right after Rikki had suggested waiting another minute, the figure of Emma through the water got closer.

She confirmed that there was an exit, in fact, a twenty second swim. Rikki was already taking off her shoes and stuffing her socks in them, but Cleo, on the contrary, was protesting, and adding in that she didn't know how to swim. Rikki told the girl that there was no other way out.

After persuading Cleo to jump in with the other girls that were waiting for her, the full moon finally decided to align itself on top of the volcano's perfect sized gap.

Bubbles started to appear around the three land girls and mermaid. Never once did the ocean-girl unclench her fist in fear of exposing herself. She had never absorbed the moon magic invisible, she had no idea if it would work. Glancing from the moon to the land-girls she noticed magic around them as well. All three girls had no idea what was happening, or who exactly was with them in the moon pool either.

The water was now calm and the three Australians had taken a deep breath and sunk their heads beneath the water and made their way through the underwater passageway. Little did they know the next time they would touch water something strange would happen. Something, very magical, indeed.

When they were finally gone, the mermaid had unclenched her fist to reveal her colorful self. She was facing the entrance where the girls had just gone through, wondering what that whole show was about. She then glanced back up at the sky, the moon no longer in her sight. Looking down and glanced at her tail and sighed in relief that it was still attached to her.

"Oh, Sage." The mermaid spoke to herself as she swayed her tail back and forth in the water. Her head rested in her hands as her elbows held her up. She stared at the rock wall in front of her contemplating her next move. Her american accent could be heard echoing off the walls of the place into the cave.. "What situation are you going to dive into this time?"