FIVE

FIVE: THE DENMAN AFFIAR

   IT SEEMED THAT everyday the mermaid's secret would be exposed at anytime

   IT SEEMED THAT everyday the mermaid's secret would be exposed at anytime. Today was no different. However, this time, it wasn't the moon or younger siblings, it was none other than Lewis' ego. The arrival of a world renowned scientist in town and he could not shut up about her. The three land girls were sick of it, but Sage seemed to enjoy how infatuated the boy was, even though she could not understand half of what he was saying.

   "She's doing dolphin research at the marine park. Her name's Denman. She did her Ph.D. at twenty-one! Can you believe that?"

   "Is that impressive?" Sage asked nonchalant which earned her to be face to face with Lewis as he explained.

   "Yeah, it is." His voiced squeaked with excitement. "You have to be some sort of genius to get it that young." Lewis grabbed her shoulder for emphasize. "It is a huge achievement to have a Ph.D before you even hit your thirties."

   Sage smiled at his enthusiasm and patted his arms so he would let go, which he did, but not without a last nod before continuing again.

   "These days she's one of the world's leading experts in aquatic mammalian cellular transformation."

   "What do those words even mean?" Sage scrunched her eyebrows together, letting the words settle in her brain, but the more she gave it thought, her brain physically ached.

   "I can teach you everything." Lewis smiled at her like a child getting a taste of chocolate.

   "And how you are you going to get access to a scientist like her, Lewis?" Emma cut into the conversation.

   "I have my methods." His smile soon turned into a mischievous smirk.

   "No way," Rikki jumped in as well. "You are not going to tell a real scientist about us."

   "I'll be careful." The boy pleaded.

"Lewis, she can't know about us." Sage playfulness switched to serious and concerned.

   "What if she wants to dissect us?" Rikki suggested.

   "What if she goes public on us?" Cleo also joined in.

   "She's a marine biologist." Lewis defended his ground once more. "She has stuff that will help us know how you guys turned into you-know-what."

   "How are you going to do that without spilling out your guts about us?"

   "I was thinking charm." He said as he started to shuffle away, but the girls were already behind him. "Just trust me."

   "Lewis, sometimes science can't answer all of the mysteries of life." Sage said before walking away from the group leaving the boy to shout 'yes it can!'.