SIX

SIX: THE SIREN EFFECT & SHIPWRECKED

   THE PAST FEW DAYS, the five friends have dealt with more than just mermaid problems; from Rikki's crooked boss that sold exotic fish on the pier that almost led her to do something she might regret to shooting a short film that ended up with Le...

   THE PAST FEW DAYS, the five friends have dealt with more than just mermaid problems; from Rikki's crooked boss that sold exotic fish on the pier that almost led her to do something she might regret to shooting a short film that ended up with Lewis winning for the second time in a row and humiliating Zane. Emma facing the reality that she might not be in a normal relationship because of her other life took a huge toll on her. Sage, on the other hand, had not seen the stranger for a while. He was here one day and gone the next. But now the quintuple are about to face something much bigger with the full moon approaching.

   "Her singing wasn't even that good." Sage not-so-subtly whispered towards Emma as Miriam came down from the stage who gave a death glare as she sat down next to Zane. In a lower voice she continued. "Siren's have much better voices, I hope you never encounter one, but I think you'll be fine, it's the men we should be worried about." And looked around at all the teenage boys who were staring at Miriam in awe.

   "Sirens are real as well?" The blonde asked as Rikki got up from her seat. The brunette with a smile. "You're not one of—"

   "Oh no." The mermaid denied. "Not me. I've only met one mermaid with the ability to sing like a siren, and she was absolutely selfishly wicked."

   "Up next." Wilfred said into the microphone. "Cleo Sertori."

   With a frightened look Cleo slowly walked up to the stage; with shaking hands she grabbed the microphone and started to sing. Her words came out in broken pieces and her pitch was off with the music. Wilfred cut in and took the mic away from her so she would stop making a fool of herself in front of everyone. As Cleo walked back to their table, slow, awkward claps followed.

   "I think your singing was okay, Cleo." Lewis reassured her but that only made her want to bury her face deeper in her arm.

   However later that night, Cleo brushed off Miss Chatham's previous warning and was sucked into the moon's trance, turning her into an actual siren. This turned out to be true after she sang and not only hypnotized Lewis but Byron as well. So after three more boys arrived, Don Sertori was about to have a heart attack. And Cleo's singing wasn't about to stop being a their biggest dilemma.

   With Lewis no help, the three mermaids had no other choice but to keep on eye on Cleo until the moon's control seized. So they forced her to change and go to bed. The three sober mermaids then placed their sleeping bags around the bed, so in case she fled, they would know.

   Come morning, the girls believed that everything was calm, nothing out of the ordinary, but that flew out the window when Cleo's singing was heard on the radio in the kitchen. Moments before Emma was just thanking the universe nothing bad happened, guess she spoke too soon.

   "This is not you, Cleo." Rikki told the girl who was still in a trance and believed she was a good singer. "It's the full moon."

   "Why can't you just be happy for me?" Cleo said as she sat on top of the kitchen counter, looking down at her friends. "As my best friends I would believe you'd be supportive, even just a little."