THREE

THREE: PARTY GIRLS

   "THE PARTY IS ON, okay?" Emma said as she sat across from two of her mermaid friends

   "THE PARTY IS ON, okay?" Emma said as she sat across from two of her mermaid friends. Cleo and Rikki grinned in their seats. Emma's smile became larger as she heard phones ringing from beside her as she knew it was her mother texting all the girls the invitations.

   "Party? What party?" Sage asked as she plopped down next to the fellow blonde hostess. She looked at her intently awaiting the answer.

   "It's a—kind of a—" Emma tried to explain it the mythical creature sitting beside her. Luckily for her, Rikki jumped in her and bluntly called it a sleepover. "I was getting to that." Emma glared at the blonde in the two braids, but solely gained a response of a shrug.

   "Am I invited?" Sage looked back the girl next to her, who nodded quickly, thinking back to when Rikki kept on pushing her about, not so long ago.

   Before anyone could say anything Zane had walked up to them with four glasses of mysterious juice. "Free, frozen colas." He answered before anyone could ask what it was. He held a mischievous grin on his face which had gone unnoticed by Sage of all.

   "What about them?" Rikki made him turn around.

   "You looked thirsty." Zane called back as he walked back to his table that had two other girls occupying the seats beside him. They all held smirks upon their faces, all of them aware of the prank that was about to be pulled. "Enjoy."

   Sage sincerely smiled and went to grab a juice, but was stopped by Rikki's hand. Her smiled dropped confused at her sudden movements. The blonde shook her head at the brunette who slowly retracted her hand away from the glasses and back to her lap.

   Before Rikki or Emma could stop her, Cleo had already taken a sip. Sage looked at her as she grimaced at the refreshment. Her face was scrunched up in disgust as the Zane and his two companions laughed loud enough to draw the attention to all four girls.

   Sage look of confusion washed across her face as she stared deeply into the liquid that was sitting in front of her. She couldn't possibly believe there was such a drink as Cleo made it out to be.

   The laughter had died down as she went to grab a glass. Emma had warned her that it was prune juice even though Sage thought none if it. She took a long hard sip, the liquid slowly disappearing from the glass until it was completely empty. Zane's main focus was now on her, intensely waiting for her reaction.

   She licked her lips and smiled. "It is honestly not that bad." She laughed as she turned to her right and made direct eye contact with the boy that had thought he had gotten them good. He looked away to clench his jaw, smoke practically coming out from his nose and ears. Now it was the mermaid's turn to laugh.