A Beautiful Burden

A few months had passed since Loki left for Asgard. I hadn't seen him once. The only time I hear about him was when Thor visited. And in those instances, the only thing Thor would say about him was that Loki was doing well and was rarely up to no good. I was sitting in my apartment with Steve, who had been my rock ever since Loki left, when I suddenly felt sick to the stomach. "Sydney, are you okay?" Steve asked.

"I think I'm going to throw up." I said as I ran towards the bathroom.

After that nauseating experience, Steve had me lie down on the couch while called for a doctor. I didn't know why, but the only person on my mind at that moment was Loki. Had he poisoned me? Did he cast a curse on me?

When the doctor arrived, he checked my vital signs and to our shock, I was four months pregnant. With whose child? That we did not know. Since it had been exactly four months since Steve and I slept together. And a few nights later, Loki and I got together. There was a forty-fifty possibility that Loki or Steve was the father.

We sat on the couch, Steve cradling me in his arms. I was wailing. "Steve, what are we going to do?" I asked.

"Nothing, let's have the baby." Steve told me. "I'll love him or her whether I'm the father or not."

I was going to say something, but I had to throw up again. But this time, I vomited blood. "We need to get Dr. Banner." Steve said.

After Dr. Banner checked me with his specialized equipment, he just scratched his head. "Well, this is weird." Bruce said. "The baby seems to have traces of the teceract embedded into its skin. So it can only mean that the father is either Red Skull or an Asgardian." Steve and I looked at each other, worried.

Bruce looked at us weird. "Wait, what's wrong? Please don't tell me Thor is the father."

"No." Steve replied.

I turned to Bruce. "He's the uncle."

LOKI POV

I have been in Asgard for almost four months now. Four months since I left Sydney with a lie. I told her that there was never really any love between us, which was true. The lie I realized after I left. When I went back to Asgard, I felt like something was missing. I realized that I did love her. Every day after my sudden epiphany, I have been going to Heimdall to see how Sydney has been doing. Heimdall saw that she was in great emotional pain. But one day, it was different. The pain was physical.

"She has weakened, Loki." Heimdall told me. "Her heart is beating slower and slower as the days pass."

"Why? What is wrong?" I asked.

"It seems that the Midgardian carries a child." Heimdall explained. "Your son. He is very powerful. I doubt that her mortal body could handle it."

"I have to go to her." I told him. "Open the bifrost, Heimdall."

"As you wish." Heimdall replied and he keyed his sword into the bifrost. "But mind you she is dying. There is not much you can do."

Seconds later, I found myself on Earth once again. Oh, how I have missed this place. I immediately made my way to Stark Tower. When I got to Sydney's apartment, I found her sleeping on the couch. I ran my fingers through her hair. Her eyes fluttered open. "Loki?" She asked.

I smiled at her. "Yes, my love?"

She was about to slap me across my face, but then I caught her by the wrists. "Let me explain." She struggled for a while, but then realized that her strength was no match for mine and relaxed. "When I said I didn't love you, I didn't realize it at that time but I really did. I only found out when I left because I started to miss you a lot." I explained. "And do you really think Odin would give me my power back if my love for you wasn't true?"