The Head Nurse Arrives

Last night was one of the most tiring nights I've ever experienced in my life.
Maybe it was the realization that I could die at any second. Maybe it was just all the walking I did.

One thing is for sure though: It won't be the last time.

I helped Soira find his name on the lobby desk and then we walked together until we reached his room on the second floor.

"Thank you very much Kirisame. I owe you." He bowed to me and then retreated into his room.

I went straight back to my room on the fourth floor, no stops and no detours. I was ready to go to sleep and wake up to realize I was just dreaming all along.

•••

I'm not dreaming.

"Good morning, lovely patients! Today is the big day for new friendships and new experiences!
Please make your way down to the ground floor and meet in front of the reception desk. I'll give more details there." Lilianna's voice is gracious and dainty, but to me it's like a blade scraping the side of a car.

I sigh and make my way to the stairs. Definitely never using those elevators again.

When I finally arrive to the lobby, I notice that everyone else is already there. I mentally count 15 students, not including me.

"Mmm. Hola, hermosa. ¿Qué te parece salir a cenar esta noche?"
Diego takes my hand in his and gives it a gentle kiss with his tender lips.

"I don't really know what you just said, but I'm gonna just say thank you." I pull away from him and search the room for someone else to talk to. I see a tall skinny boy with tangled brown hair holding a bunch of little pieces of metal and focusing hard.

"Um, hey there." I say, giving a tiny wave.

He looks up at me, with an uncomfortable-looking smile on his face.

"Oh gosh, are you talking to me? I- um...I'm Addie. Yep that's me, ahaha." He seems friendly, just a little bit shy.

"Hi. My name is Kirisame, but call me Kiri if you want to." I smile at him and hold out my hand to shake.

"Oh. A handshake, that's so cool. That's what all the cool kids are doing these days. Handshakes. Keeping it real formal. I like that. Yeah."

"So what is all that metal for?"
I ask, trying to move the conversation along.

"Oh this stuff? It's just something for me to tinker with. Nothing much. Maybe I'll make something while I'm here in this place for a little while."

"What do you mean by '- little while'? You do know that you have to kill someone to leave right?"

His smile fades slightly and his hazel eyes look disturbed.

"Nonsense. That stuff is all a prank. There's no way."

"Addie...I don't think this is a prank. It feels way too planned out to just be a normal prank."

"No!" He yells which attracts the attention of everyone nearby.

"I'm sorry. I just don't believe that." He says, looking away from me and going back to his metal pieces.

I decide that it would be best to leave him be for now and go talk to someone else. I really don't need to ruffle any feathers. What if Addie just put me at the top of the list if he wants to kill anyone.

What I really want is to have my notebook back.

I see Jack across the room and not to my surprise he's staring at me. His eyes still have the awful look of judgement written all over them and they supply nothing but fear of approaching him.

Instead I walk up to Rose, who is sitting quietly in the corner with Rin and Sage.

"Hey, did you talk to Jack about the notebook?" I ask her.

Rose opens her mouth to speak, but Sage interrupts her with a stern but quiet voice.

"We are trapped here, probably about to die and it seems like all you care about is some stupid notebook. A notebook isn't going to save us and if you think it will you're just as dumb as everyone else. These people are acting like that announcement we heard wasn't true, but it was. I've heard of this kind of thing before. We need to get out before it's too la-"

"Alright patients! It's time for you to learn a bit about our group activities!" Lilianna cheers through the loud speaker.

"But first, let me properly introduce myself to you."

We hear the sound of a door opening and we see a young lady in a nurse hat and a white dress step out behind the lobby desk.

"Hello, patients! It's good to see you all alive in-person. It gets boring monitoring the cameras all day. Haha!"

"Oh you've had it now, bitch." I hear Rin's voice behind me, and then in a flash she runs at the lobby desk with her fists raised and clenched hard.

It all happens so fast I almost miss it. Lilianna raises her left hand and presses a button on a tiny device.A squeal of pain escapes Rin as she crumbles to the floor in a heap.

"No, Rin!" Rose whines from behind me. She sounds like she's going to cry.

Everyone just gathers around silently, scared to look at Rin.

Lilianna smiles and glares over the crowd with a look of justice.

"Don't bother trying to hurt me or any of my subjects. You will regret it instantaneously. Exhibit A."

The silence returns again. No chatter goes on and whatever hope that was there in the room fades quickly.

"Now, usually we will split up into groups for the group activity, but I've decided that for today we all all participate in just one all together. Maybe a light game of dodgeball? That sounds like fun. I promise that our balls here at the clinic are all very soft. So as long as you children don't do anything strange to them to make them deadly.