12

Waking up was always hard for me, knowing that the whole day is waiting outside my bedroom door with a baseball bat to beat me up with. I thought it was normal. A few other children in my class said they're parents hit them sometimes. I didn't know that I was being abused nor did I know I was being exploited. Maybe not knowing was best, I don't want to know how more horrible it would have been for me if I knew that it wasn't what every child went through. Even now, I'm angry that it was only me. I'm not saying that all children should have my childhood, it's just frustrating, you know? All these people who had perfect childhoods, playing at the park with their friends and having sleepovers. I didn't have any of that. I barely had anything at all.

"Today is a new day," my mother grins, opening up the curtains. "Come and help me cook breakfast for your uncle."

"My legs hurt," I whine, sitting up with excruciating pain. "Can't I go to the doctors again?"

"If we do then nasty people will take you away from me," she kneels down in front of me, lightly patting my feet. "We don't want that, do we?"

"No, Mummy." I nod my head slowly. "I asked the other kids like you said, and they told me that they're parents hit them too."

"There you go," she smirks, as if she has won. "Didn't I tell you? All kids get hit, it's just how it is. Now are you going to stop moaning about it, for me?"

"But some kids said their parents don't," I gently stroke my legs in hope that it'll make them even a little bit better. "So why do you?"

"They're lying," she stands up and walks out of my room. "They're parents probably told them to say that, never believe in someones words."

"Okay," I mumble, pain striking up my legs as I too stand. "I'll never believe in anyone, not even the tooth fairy."

"Y/N!" My uncle greets me, arms open wide. "I missed you, why did you sleep in for so long?"

"Sorry," I pout, pretending to be sad as he beckons me forward. "I didn't mean to.."

"Come and sit on uncle's lap," he grabs me roughly and puts me on his lap. "Have you been a good girl to mummy?"

"Hmm," I reply, he begins to stroke my hair. "Yes?"

"You are funny," he chuckles, his hands have gone from my hair to my legs. "Oh no, these bruises are nearly black, I'm sorry Y/N. I think uncle went a bit too far last night, didn't I?"

"I," I glance at my mummy's worried face before answering. "I can bare it."

"You're such a strong girl," his hand travels further up my leg. "You're my favourite little girl, you know that?"

"I am uncle's favourite little girl," I repeat, holding my breath when his fingers trace my stomach. "You love me very, very much."

"I do," his words left scars. "And do you know what I do with my special girls?" 

I squeal when his fingers go under my pyjamas. 

"What have I told you with your squealing?" He yanks my hair and throws me to the floor. "That annoying noise makes me get headaches! Seong, can't you teach your daughter to follow simple commands? Come here."

I watch from the floor as my uncle pushes mummy to the floor and makes her bend over.