33.

"So, Neila," Leo put down his glass and his eyes met mine for the first time since we'd gotten back inside. He'd practically ignored my presence up until now, which was strange (and if I'm being honest, a little annoying) seeing as he was just looking at me like he wanted to see me naked a few hours before. What can I say? I was flattered. "Tell me about yourself."

We were eating dinner. Apparently, Niccolò's uncle could cook.

"I, um," I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. I hated being put on the spot. I stuck a piece of chicken in my mouth, hoping he'd just drop the subject of me and move on, but his eyes never wavered and he patiently waited for me to finish chewing and swallow. "What do you want to know?"

"How old are you?"

"I turn twenty-three in June."

"You're young," he mused. "Twenty-two."

It didn't seem like a comment one would really answer to, so I only nod and take a sip of my wine.

"What else?" He questions.

I glance at Niccolò, who appeared tense, but doesn't speak. "Well, uh, I'm a Cancer. Born June 25th."

"Hm." He didn't care, though. He was fishing for something else. "What do you do?"

"Do?"

"As a career? Do you work?"

I blink. "Sort of in between jobs right now. I bartended for a little while."

"Did you enjoy that? Bartending?"

I shrugged. "It paid bills."

"And how did you and my nephew meet?"

What exactly was he fishing for? "The cliché-est way possible. A bar. He bought me a drink."

"Huh."

I tilt my head to the side.

Leo smiled and glances at Niccolò. "I admit, I'm surprised. Not many girls can keep his attention."

Leaning back, I watch him carefully. He was interesting. It was like a game of chess. I knew he was thinking three steps ahead, so all I needed to do was figure out his next move. He didn't seem the type to do anything just because. He was like Niccolò in that way. Or rather, Niccolò was like him.

The thought made me pause. Niccolò was like him. I may not have known Leo's thinking, but I knew Nic's. So if it were Niccolò asking me these questions, what would he be leaning towards?

I decided to be upfront. That was the best way to deal with Niccolò, so it'll be the best way to deal with his uncle.

"Is there something specific you'd like to know?"

Leo smiled. He had an attractive smile. Light. Care-free. Unworried. I couldn't tell et if that was his poler face, or if he genuinely was as relaxed as he seemed.

"Just curious as to how you did it. Now, physically, everything about you is appealing—as I'm sure you know." Niccolò tensed when he heard that, but Leo went on without sparing him a glance. "So far, I've picked up that you're short tempered. Other than that you haven't spoken much, so I'm wondering what it is about you that has got Niccolò here all bent out of shape."