▹chapter 5

"Never met a winner that wasn't a sore loser."

The next few days were a routine. Each morning I gave Percy Ancient Greek lesions because Annabeth didn't want to spend even more time with him than she absolutely had to. Thursday afternoon, three days after Percy arrived at Camp, he had his first sword-fighting lesson. They moved on to dueling in pairs. Luke announced he would be his partner, that made Annabeth snicker and we made a bet about who is gonna win.

"Good luck," Annabeth told him. "Luke's the best swordsman in the last three hundred years."

"Maybe he'll go easy on me," he said and I couldn't help but snort.

"Keep your guard up, Percy," Luke said, then whap him in the ribs with the flat of his blade.

"Okay, everybody circle up!" Luke ordered. "If Percy doesn't mind, I want to give you a little demo."

He told everybody he was going to demonstrate a disarming technique

"This is difficult. I've had it used against me. No laughing at Percy, now. Most swordsmen have to work years to master this technique." He demonstrated the move on him in slow motion.

"We keep sparring until one of us pulls it off. Ready, Percy?" Percy nodded and Luke came after him. His blade hit the base of Luke's and he twisted. Luke's sword fell out of his hand, other campers were silent and I think everybody stopped breathing, I know I sure did.

Percy lowered his sword. "Um, sorry." For a moment, Luke was too stunned to speak.

"Sorry?" Luke started laughing. "By the gods, Percy, why are you sorry? Show me that again" The moment their swords connected, Luke sent his weapon across the floor. After a long pause, somebody said,

"Beginner's luck?"

"Maybe," Luke answered. "But I wonder what Percy could do with a balanced sword...."

"So, does this mean I won the bet?" I turned towards Annabeth after shock left me and my face broke into a grin. She just looked at me and walked away. What can I say, she is a sore loser.