▹chapter 8

"This is how to live your life. You live it as though you were on the verge of death, because you are."-Michael A. Singer

We packed pretty fast.  I packed few changing of clothes, book, few drachmas, toothbrush and few other things including my mini, bag sized crossbow that was a gift from my mom for my tenth birthday. Chiron gave Annabeth, me and Percy each a canteen of nectar and a bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only if we were seriously hurt. Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap. She carried a book on famous classical architecture, to read when she got bored, and a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. Grover wore his fake feet and pants to look like a human, a green cap, his bright orange backpack that was full of scrap metal and apples and in his pocket was a set of pipes. Whatever he would need that for. But hey, no judging.

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and keep an eye on things."

And then Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you." Annabeth blushed, the way she always did when Luke was around.

"Just wanted to say good luck. And I just thought maybe you could use these." He handed Percy the sneakers

Luke said, "Maia!" White bird's wings sprouted out of them

"Awesome!" Grover said. Luke smiled.

"Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His expression turned sad.

"Thanks." Percy said gratefully and I think he was blushing as hard as Annabeth. Then they shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns, then gave a goodbye hug to Annabeth and me and after he said his goodbyes he was gone.

"You're hyperventilating." Percy said to Anna

"Am not." She defended

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but he is kinda right. I thought you were gonna pass out when he hugged you"

"Oh ... why did I want to go anywhere with you two?" She stomped down the other side of the hill and Percy and I just laughed. Argus followed her playing with his car keys and I was quick to follow. Percy finally remembered to come down hill from his 'little' chat with Chiron.I mean sure thay can chat as much as they want, it's not like we are in hurry and we have a world to save. But you know, whatever. Argus drove us out of the countryside.

"So far so good," Percy told me, "Ten miles and not a single monster." 

I gave him an irritated look and Anna was quick to follow, too. This boy is testing my patience and my nerves. No matter how cute he is, he is so reckless and stupid at times....ugh

"It's bad luck to talk that way, seaweed brain." I told him

"Remind me again-why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Could've fooled me."

"She doesn't hate you, okay. Me on the other hand, you are really pissing me off." Anna answered for me

"Great, why don't you like me then?"

"Look ... we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?" She sighed.

"How many reasons do you want? One time my mom caught Poseidon with his girlfriend in Athena's temple, which is hugely disrespectful. Another time, Athena and Poseidon competed to be the patron god for the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city after her."