Chapter 5, Things Are Looking Up

Rocky's P.O.V.

"Oh my god, is he actually smiling?" I heard Rydel's voice as we walked into the house.

"Yes he is," Ellington answered as he kissed her cheek, "It's weird, isn't it?"

"Did you guys really cure him of his heartbreak?" Rydel asked with a confused look.

"Nope, he met a girl," Ryland teased as he pushed my shoulder. I put my hand on the side of his head and pushed him back.

"Really?!" she pretty much squealed. I nodded and found myself blushing. "Rocky, that's awesome. What's her name?"

"Skylar," Ross answered for me, dragging her name out while raising his eyebrows at me.

"Sky," I corrected. I preferred to call her that.

"Well, it's nice to see you happy again," Rydel smiled again.

"Thanks, Del. I feel great," I responded as I pulled her into a side hug. She seemed a little thrown off, but she wrapped her arm around my waist anyway.

"Aye, Rocky! Quit thinking about your rebound girl and let's play some Halo!" Ross yelled from the living room. I rolled my eyes and went to join him. I sat between him and Ryland. Rydel followed as well, sitting next to Ellington on the couch. She used his thighs as a leg rest and kissed him. I swear I threw up in my mouth a little.

"Dude, she's not a rebound. She's a really cool person," I defended. If my brother thought I was using her, what would Sky think? I was just hoping I didn't come across that way to her.

"You only think that because she's a hot girl that can play football," Riker laughed.

"Although she is both of those things, there's more to her than that. And I'm going to find out what that is."

"And plus, Rike, you shouldn't be thinking like that. You have Vanni," Rydel snapped at him from across the room.

"It's not like that. I'm just saying she's attractive, I never said I liked her. Besides, Rocky already claimed his territory," Riker reasoned, raising his hands up in surrender.

"Damn straight," I laughed.

"Yo, it's great to have you back, man. It seems like things are looking up for you," Ryland, nudged my shoulder. I smiled as I thought about Skylar. I don't know why, but the thought of her just made me smile.

"I just can't wait to see her again," I mumbled.

"Aw, Rocky's in loooove," Rydel cooed.

"I'm not in love," I defended, "I just have an interest in someone, that's all."

"That's all? Just an interest?" Ross asked.

"Yea," I shrugged.

"You're not looking for another relationship? 'Cause to me it seems like you're really into this girl," he questioned me.

"I don't know what I want. She's cool, but I don't want to get hurt again. I gave Alexa everything, and I was crushed. I'm scared to fall that hard again," I said as I completely let my wall down.

"Maybe she's worth it. You might have to be vulnerable sometimes," Rydel suggested.

"I guess you're right. I just hope she likes me," I sighed.

"As long as you be yourself, she will," she smiled at me. I smiled back as I stood up.

"Where you going?" Ellington asked me.

"My room," I shrugged.

"Yea, 'cause he doesn't want us around when he's talking to Sky," Ross teased.

"Shut up!" I called out from the stairs. When I made it inside my room, I found Sky's contact in my phone and sent her a text.

Rocky: Please tell me you didn't give me a fake number, Sky.

Sky: Rocky?

Rocky: That's my name, don't wear it out too much.

Sky: Just making sure.

Rocky: I just wanted to tell you I had a lot of fun. I haven't been myself lately, but my worries melted away today. So thanks.

Sky: Nice to know I made you feel better. But what's wrong anyways?

Rocky: I'll tell you on one condition.

Sky: And that is?

Rocky: You have to go on a date with me this Friday.

Sky: You got yourself a deal, Lynch.

Rocky: I got cheated on a couple months ago.

Sky: Damn, that's rough. I'm sorry to hear that.

Rocky: It's fine, I know now that she isn't worth my tears anymore.

Sky: That's the spirit.

Rocky: About that date...

Sky: Yes?

Rocky: Anything specific you wanna do?

Sky: I don't really mind, you can pick out the details.

Rocky: Is 7 o'clock ok with you?

Sky: Sure

Rocky: Ok, I guess I'll see you then.

Sky: See ya.

I smiled as I flopped face first on my bed. I laughed happily into my pillow, my cheering being muffled by the fabric.

I have a date with Sky.