15. keep holding on

After several unexpectedly intense games of Scrabble, and a viewing of 'It's a wonderful life,' sided with two mugs of mulled wine. All of a sudden Leah's voice sounded from the other side of the hall room "Presents!"

A few minutes later, the entire Cowden family was gathered in the living room. As was tradition, Linden gathered the presents from beneath the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree and passed them out to their recipients. As he handed the last one to his mother, Ivy appeared to be almost folded her onto the leather couch; there was a few small presents in her hands.

Linden's heart sunk when he realized he didn't have a present to give to him. He watched, dumbfounded, as Ivy gave each person some present.

"For you," Ivy murmured to Linden, placing a tiny gift bag in his lap when she came and sat on the floor.

"Ivy, you didn't have to do all this," Linden shook his head in disbelief. "I didn't get you anything, I'm so sorry."

"I wanted to, Danny," she said him, half-scolding as she settled into the wingback chair in the corner. She pulled her knees to her chest and leaned her head against them, for Linden eyes she was like the picture of comfort. "Just my way to say thank to all of you and Happy Christmas to all of you."

"You're so sweet," Chloe said as she unwrapped her gift. "Oh my goodness Ivy darling! A trip to the Disney Land?"

"Ivy, that's too much," Linden gasped. Ivy laughed and shook her head.

"Don't worry about it Danny," she insisted, "My father and I had just organized a charity event and there we got it. It's not from my pocket and it is redeemable anytime... I thought Leah would enjoy it."

"Sounds wonderful" Chloe crowed, crossing the room to hug her and kiss her cheek. "Thank you so much, sweetheart."

Eventually everyone opened their presents, some cries of excitement and gratitude bouncing around the room. Casey was ecstatic about the custom white gold ring Linden had gotten for her.

Bill even got a bit misty eyed over the engraved photo album Casey gifted him.

Linden observed the room quietly as Leah was happy. He was so blissfully happy to be sitting in this room among all of his favorite people on the earth.

"Hey," Ivy called to him, flexing her leg to poke Linden in the thigh with her toes. "Open my present." Linden reached for the tiny red and green polka dotted gift bag ivy had placed in his lap earlier. He pulled out the glittery tissue paper and then smiled into the bag.

"Well, what is it, Linny!" Casey shouted from her spot on the couch. When he looked up, he was greeted by big, nosy grins on each of his family's faces.

"It is a charm bracelet," he replied his sister smiling ever so brightly, the charms represented friends, family, angels and guides in spirit. He immediately put it on his left wrist.

Ivy explained her view on bringing this for Linden, "I thought you will like it and I picked up the one that I thought will suit you the best,"

Linden examined the charms that represented friends, family, angels and guides in spirit. He immediately put it on his left wrist. It was perfect. Linden had to agree that they all suited him remarkably. He looked up to where Ivy was watching for his reaction.

"They're perfect," he breathed. "Thank you so much."

"Maybe I have one more present for you," Ivy murmured back. "Later, though."

They gazed at one another for a moment. Linden could not believe that he only knew her for two days. It made his heart ache it some good way. He couldn't believe how quickly he'd gone from considering Ivy a complete stranger to this.

As he scanned Ivy's face—piercing hooded eyes, tiny nose, and perfect, smirking mouth—he wondered if he should just tell her how he was feeling. Because surely, staying with her when he was feeling like this would be impossible.

"Oh, look at the time," Chloe said, and hopped up from the couch.

Soon Ivy could feel her eyes growing heavier. Chloe sent her and Linden upstairs to the guest room with fresh blankets to ward off the cold. Ivy let Linden direct her toward the guestroom to change and perform her nighttime rituals.

"Good night Ivy," Linden said as she felt him stroke her forehead, pushing the hair from her face. Then he bent down and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Happy Christmas,"

"Night Danny," she smiled shyly at Linden and gave him a hug, "Happy Christmas,"

Linden turned away, walking, ready to go to his room to the door but stopping to look back at her. She hadn't moved; Ivy was still standing on the door step. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. It had been a great Christmas—leaps and bounds better than she imagined going into it. She was a bit exhausted from all the day's events and emotions.

"Hey Ivy," Linden said, she hummed her response from deep in her throat.

"How long are you staying?" he asked a soft catch in his voice. Ivy glanced at Linden, saw his widened eyes, the fear and hope on his beautiful, rugged face.

Lowering her voice, she said, "Till breakfast tomorrow, I want to have more than enough time to read all my assignments before joining back to college"

It wasn't technically a lie. Ivy really wanted to read all her assignments and re-check it before the submission. And while she had a wonderful Christmas, she didn't want to completely intrude on Linden's holiday time.

There was also a tiny, melancholy part of her that wanted to be alone like she had been most of her life.

"Oh," Linden breathed. "Okay. I'll drop you off to your house."

"Thank you," Ivy whispered. Linden hummed in response, his breathing growing deeper. Ivy closed her eyes and synced her own breathing to match. Linden then turned his back again on Ivy and began to walk toward his bedroom door.

Ivy closed her bedroom door and locked it; she wandered inside the room for while and then stepped over to her bed. She sat on the edge. After five minutes she dug in her bag for her phone and headphones, untangled them, once again when she was settled back against the headboard, she turned the screen's brightness down and started writing something.  

Sorry for late update but I hope you all like this chapter:) only two more chapters to go before my sorry ends... I am gonna miss writing about this characters :) 

 I am gonna miss writing about this characters :)